loaded t61 taking long time to open even internet explorer :S

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by mliu, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd1010

jd1010 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just spent a 1/2 hour on the phone with lenovo trying to figure this one out. First I was on the line with lenovo, they couldn't answer my question, so they put me through to IBM technical support. You don't get a windows dvd with your thinkpad. Basically they said the computer comes with an installed partition(or something) on the hardrive that has an image of vista exactly how it was pre-installed. You can create dvd's of that, but you will just restore windows to exactly how it was when it came out of the box.

I told her my reasoning for wanting to reformat the computer was because I wanted to get rid of the software on there that I didn't want. She told me the solution to that was to work with the computer for a little while. Get a sense for what programs you do and don't want and then manually delete those programs you don't want.

So, now here is my next question. With vista running, what is a reasonable amount of processes the computer should be running? I'm not one that likes having all this garbage running in the background. I currently have 30 processes running on my desktop with xp. Is 50-60 a reasonable figure to try and reach?

2. jmwein

jmwein Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This computer is giving me a migraine and I don't even have mine yet! How the fuk does a computer company ship a computer without any discs!?!?!??

3. Jimco

Jimco Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think you should aim for a specific number of processes. Instead, shoot for good perceived performance. If you don't get it, use available tools to find out what resources are being strained and target those processes that are taking inordinate amounts of that/those resource(s).

4. Jimco

Reputations:
    It's common for them to do this. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any manufacturer that ships Windows DVDs as opposed to restore discs or a restore partition.

5. jmwein

jmwein Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know that with every single Dell computer I get a bunch of discs with preinstalled programs, drivers, and the preinstalled windows operating system! i don't care if it has the bloatware bc i still have a backup in case i have a problem with my computer!!

6. Jimco

Reputations:
    If you want a Windows disc from Dell, you have to pay extra for it, but they do give you the option at least. Still, it's an OEM version. I prefer non-OEM.

7. jd1010

jd1010 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, you can create your own recovery disc when you get the computer. It would be the same thing as getting the windows operating system from dell with the bloatware. The tech said if you didn't create the disc and you can't reformat using the partition on the hardrive then they will send you recovery discs at no charge. You can buy the recovery discs if you want but she said their is no reason for it because you can just create a backup disc on your own.

8. mliu

mliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    my system came with the vista upgrade cd even though it was preinstalled...

9. espo412

espo412 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I haven't used vista much but I assume it still has msconfig. I recommend you do the following:
    Click Start, type msconfig in the search bar, click on msconfig in the results, enter password or whatever, once it opens go to the startup tab, click disable all, then click ok, then restart the computer.
    This is completely reversible and I guarantee you don't "need" any of those processes to run the computer. If you notice a significant increase in performance you can even manually re-enable individual processes that you actually want to run at startup.

10. sp00n

sp00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Check out the Lenovo Base Software Administrator program:

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/think/thinkvantagetech.html#a2

Source: http://www.lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=63

After that's done, make a Recovery Disk so you don't need to do this all over again if you ever decide to format your computer.

http://www.lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=59

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.