loaded t61 taking long time to open even internet explorer :S

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by mliu, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mliu

mliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea just got my T61. Specs are: 2.0GHZ t7300, 2gb 667 mhz ram, 120 gb 5400 rpm harddrive, but to offset the somewhat slower harddrive speed is 1gb intel turbo memory. i'm running vista business.

should be blazing fast, right? my desktop from a couple years back opens internet explorer like instantly...right when I click on it. the t61 takes noticiably longer, like there's some lag time between when i click on ie and when it opens..even when i click on a tab it takes a while for that to load...what's going on?

also, what should i do right after recieving my system? i haven't done much...uninstall norton? or what...also, right palm rest warms up noticably. any tips?

2. Wh1t3w0lf

Wh1t3w0lf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The first thing I would do with any newly bought laptop would be to clean install Windows. When I did that to my T60 it was like another machine, felt like 2x faster.

3. mliu

mliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    how do you clean install windows? is a reformat necessary? is a clean install really necesary to :S...i mean how does it help? thanks.

4. jd1010

jd1010 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How many processes do you have running?

5. mliu

mliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    around 100 processes right after startup. memory usage generally around 1gb. cpu usage around 25% constantly, but spikes up and down alot...sometimes spikes to 100% when opening program or dvd or whatever, and down to 10%...
    what do you guys think I should do? return or is this stuff fixable?

6. jd1010

Reputations:
    wow....I would call lenovo and tell them to help you clean install your computer. I've never used vista but 100 processes is way too much. I'm pretty sure that would be the reason your computer is running so slow. I'm running 30 processes on my windows xp desktop right now.

I remember going to circuit city and checking out the HP's running vista. They had like 80 or so processes running and HP has some serious bloatware pre-installed on their computers. Anyway, I would highly suggest having lenovo run you through the clean install if you don't know how to do it yourself.

7. mliu

mliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    oh...could you outline the steps on how to clean install computer? i'm not sure i'll be able to call lenovo before they close today...

8. jd1010

Reputations:
    I really would have no idea, sorry. Never had a lenovo laptop or vista so I have no clue.

9. ibmfan

ibmfan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Or better clean install Windows XP, it will really make a difference

10. jmwein

jmwein Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why would he want to install an outdated 5+ year old operating system? His computer should be able to handle Vista with no problems. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.