List of laptops from 2005?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Wolf Claw, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolf Claw

Wolf Claw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I apologize if this the wrong forum section, but is there a site that I could visit that would allow me to see—or would anyone be aware of—all laptop computers manufactured or released in 2005 (especially November and / or December 2005)? I have performed several searches with Bing and Google and have not found anything remotely resembling what I desire. I have even searched for CPUs released during that period to narrow results but to little avail.

I am looking to purchase a DELL machine—preferably with the best components—from this period. I am aware of the DELL D810 or the DELL Precision M70, for instance, but these were released earlier in that year and I am unsure of whether there were better machines. I should note that DELL is preferred; however, the laptops in such a list or in a reply need not be produced by that manufacturer, so long as they were released in within the referenced period.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  2. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry, I can't help you with direct answer, but I would look either online or in a library for computer magazines from that period and look up the ads/reviews. Also this forum has for example Dell threads going back to at least 2003, so it will have topics regarding your subject matter, just will take a while to fish them out.

Wolf Claw likes this.
  3. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Movie prop? Vlog?

You can use the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine and navigate the brand's various sites (or retail outlets):
    That XPS M170 looks like a good contender. The pre-Dell Alienware Aurora m7700 is even better; both can be used with a 7800 GTX, but the desktop dual core Athlon 64 X2 trumps the single core Pentium Ms: (mobile) processor benchmarks. Also can do two SATA drives in RAID-0 whereas the XPS only has a single drive.

edit:
    The Aurora's a rebranded Clevo D900. There's a 'for parts' listed on ebay atm, probably just needs a re-seat or new SATA cable (plus a few extra parts):
    D900T Alienware Clevo D9T D900T Alienware LAPTOP

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Vasudev and Wolf Claw like this.
  4. Wolf Claw

Wolf Claw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, no. Sentimental reasons, I suppose.

This is an excellent idea—one of which I wish I had thought! Thank you!

You went above and beyond my expectations by listing actual laptops and benchmarks and even a link to an item for sale! I am evaluating my options (based in large part on the list that you shared). You have my gratitude. Thank you. If you happen to become aware of more, please let me know.

5. seahawk10

seahawk10 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think he is a time traveller and doesn't want to bring back a model that has not been invented yet. It would throw off the space-time continuum. Plus replacement parts might be hard to find. :)

t456 and Vasudev like this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am at the stage where getting old computers is as exciting as getting vintage guitars or automobiles. There are a bunch of old iron that I want to gather, update and make them run!

t456 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.