[Liquid Metal Showdown] Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut vs Cool Laboratory Liquid Ultra / Pro

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, May 11, 2016.

1. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    both are good thermal paste.. but from my experience, i rather stay over normal paste like kryonaut, GC extreme, ICD.. why ?? i travel a lot on my motorcycle, bumpy roads, etc.. i had LM spilled twice on motherboard.. even though i had 33+ tape applied on sides.. lucky i removed before it went to the main parts of board.. so if ur travelling a lot.. i dont recomend LM over tradional paste.. one good thing about LM is the way it fills the gap between HS and DIE... which normal paste cant match.. specially on alienware models heatsink..

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Completely agree with @VICKYGAMEBOY. I can hardly balance myself when the bus gets into a big pothole. I'm not complaining about road quality but this is the best test case I could come up with.

3. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    Yeah exactly.. as of now i tested three different thermal paste, Kryonaut, GC extreme, and ICD.. to be honest i dont care what people say.. all three are good.. ive tested 3 - 4 times of each thermal paste, seating different heatsinks on same Laptop.. ICD turns out to be best when it comes to expanding and adjusting to the pressure and filling the gap, i need to see the technical specs more.. only problem with ICD is the stracth on die when we remove after sometime.. i tested dot, spread, line method on each thermal paste.. ICD gave me best results.. right now im on GC extreme.. will use it for few days.. and save the result.. i ordered cooler master nano again, ive tested it before.. it gave me good result for the price.. right now its out of stock everywhere.. only in few stores its available.. for around 1.2K original was around 700INR

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    VICKYGAMEBOY likes this.
  5. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I ride a motorcycle too (Yamaha R6) and I can empathise with potholes and bad roads! Never had an issue with liquid metal spilling out so far but to each their own.

6. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    I understand, but im just pointing out the worst case scenario.. R6 :) coool... i have a ninja and benelli tnt 300 for commuting.. and touring

7. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    right now its out of stock on mdcomputers, ITDEPOT, that price tag on amazon + import fee rofl, i would rather buy someother item from ebay.uk and wait for 10-15 days.. good to hear that they agreed to replace your battery.. relief.. just do some gaming benchmarks.. run games like mafia 3, crysis 3, etc.. record with shadowplay, use ur NVMe drive.. thats like overall torture to all components, then see ur component temps.. if u can when ur free..

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Go for Phobya NanoGrease Extreme. More similar to ICD in thickness/viscosity. Probably best option for you without going Liquid metal. I’m quite sure the AW heatsink is the culprit for your spilled out LM. And the modern TRIPOD HS in newest AW models is even worse due less and more uneven pressure on Die.

Vasudev and VICKYGAMEBOY like this.
  9. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    haha, ill try that next.. waiting for new heatsink from dell.. wish i had new models to test out.. uneven pressure is there even on older models.. but somewhat better than New ones.. and what's with dell driver support, Intel ME is so crucial.. Yet on R2 its version 11.0 still... BIOS update could have included lates ME Firmware 11.8.. and simple code to reduce PCH throttle, why can't they even do this small stuffs..

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Yeah, try Phobya next time.

Dell can’t even fix PCH throttling for latest models. How should they manage to fix it for their EOL models? HeHe
    Have you thought about seeing if you can flash ME firmware yourself? Useful info in Win-Raid.com. Maybe post a few q and ask for help there.

Btw. Latest MEI-Only Installer 11.7.0.1043 includes MEI v11.7.0.1040 Driver can be download from Win-raid now. Isn’t on Intel’s official web page.

Vasudev likes this.