[Liquid Metal Showdown] Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut vs Cool Laboratory Liquid Ultra / Pro

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, May 11, 2016.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good. He wanted more data on 13 r3, it seems you can provide him with vital data like CPU and GPU Temps and OC performance.

Rairch likes this.
  2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    actually, i think the difference is shrinked might be due to heat sink capacity.

the transfer between die and heatsink contact has to be good, now if its too good heat quickly flows to heatpipe then to heat spreader, however if fans blowing off the heat isnt fast enough then eventually heatsink gets hotter and hotter too, which it also has a capacity as well that would ultimately reflect back on the temp under-load for long periods of time.

with a giant heatsink like p570wm which is for CPU only and not linked to GPU, you'll see way less problems unless stress all 6-8 cores to 4.3ghz for a long period of time.

3. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hi!
    Did anyone repaste Asus G701VIK recently? What is the Best combination for this laptop considering it's heating design?
    conductonaut on CPU and kryonaut on GPU or conductonaut on both ?

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I had never seen this post before, but I did the same thing on both of my laptops and it works extremely well. Brilliant work @tijgert... +5 rep. I will be doing this on all of my systems going forward.

Thank you for placing a link to your post on my YouTube video.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    tijgert, Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, I saw @tijgert doing LM completely a new one method. Not every PC is equally made and thus every idea must be different for each PC. Its best to say "YMMV" with LM repaste and free insurance method.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    tijgert, Vistar Shook and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys little confused with the inital post, are we saying Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut is the best over Liquid Ultra?

If so would it be worth be upgrading from liquid ultra to Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut?

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You would not notice any improvement, at the max 1C difference. Traditional Paste to LM drastic difference; LM to LM no difference.

8. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

thanks, on that basis i wont waste my time !

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Switch if you have to re-paste for one or another reason:cool:

MiSJAH and Vasudev like this.
  10. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Although I wouldn't bother to change to Conductonaut if you already have CLU/CLP, I'd suggest pasting with Conductonaut if you're applying liquid metal for the first time.

I've used both now and Conductonaut was a lot nicer/easier to apply. The cost was slightly higher but the next time I repaste another system, I'll order more Conductonaut. It just seemed to 'bite' onto the metal with less effort and spread with less difficulty and I was done repasting in ten minutes (Including prep work etc...) whereas it would normally take 15-20 mins with CLU/CLP. As I applied the Conductonaut to an E7440 that is used exclusively for travelling and is moved around a great deal, I'll open up the system in two weeks and see if there has been much movement of the Conductonaut LM. Didn't have this issue with CLU/CLP so it shouldn't be an issue but it can't hurt to be thorough.