Liquid Metal Repaste of Razer Blade 2016 + GPU overclock

Discussion in 'Razer' started by PRSnow, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Rothcall

Rothcall Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh no i get how to apply paste to it, but i have some jbweld where the CPU would touch the aluminum of the heatsink. I dont quite know what to do about that. And the spare has pinched heatpipes. I only have enough Kryonaut for one application so im holding out incase there's any advice about the LM left.

The CPU cant seem to get back to 50C after a stress test of either the CPU or GPU.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. Revoluxon

Revoluxon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There is nothing you can do to avoid the contact between the CPU die and the aluminum of the heatsink, that's how Razer designed it (which is bad imo, this heatsink would work with the new skylake/kabylake CPUs since the die is smaller)

If liquid metal didnt work after many applications, just go with Kryonaut, make sure everything is clean and there is no LM at all on the chips before you apply the thermal paste.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. Revoluxon

Revoluxon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Double post.

4. Rothcall

Reputations:
    Thoughts on using the heatsink with the pinched pipes? I dont know if i can remove the jb weld well enough off of this one.

5. Rothcall

Reputations:
    Ha.. kryonaut temps are at 60C idle too with the bent up heatsink.. FML..

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And under stress? bent pipes are not ideal, but I was hoping the spare heatsink would solve your issue ....the Razer Blades don´t tend to get massive improvements in temps with repasting, be it with LM or normal paste, as other machines might get, which is unfortunate...some get more mileage out of repasting than others. There are plenty that actually get worse temps after repasting a RB, believe or not, with that awful original paste job. I would say, stress test more with the replacement heatsink and kryonaut, and if temps stay in the low 90s during load, call it a day.

7. PRSnow

PRSnow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you tried using extra thermal paste? I know most people will cringe at this suggestion, but your CPU may not be getting enough contact with the heat sink otherwise. At least that was the case for mine. I had to apply a lot more LM than normal because the contact was so poor. I'm assuming this is why the paste from the factory is applied so heavily as well.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Edit: Nvm, found ny answers in another tread.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  9. thatalbinofrog

thatalbinofrog Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey man, I was wondering if you could give us a hand with unscrewing the heatsync. Cheers

Vasudev likes this.
  10. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is a nice drop in temps. At one time I had considered getting a Blade, and doing similar.
    Using that much liquid metal is a bit risky, but looks like you did a fine job.