Liquid Metal Repaste of Razer Blade 2016 + GPU overclock

Discussion in 'Razer' started by PRSnow, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If your next application fails to improve...I would say just call it a day...clean everything and use normal thermal paste just to get the machine working again. If you are in fact not getting a good contact between the heatsink and die normal thermal paste might be better than LM for that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. Rothcall

Rothcall Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Decided to try some stuff with the LM that was already in the laptop, removing the tack and tape around the CPU and redoing the tape, and also somehow getting the LM to spread over the other heatpipe seems to have dropped the CPU temps a good bit from what they were. 5 minute stress test peaked at like 92 but was mostly around 83-88 and the fans are not fully ramping up though most of it. The heatpipes are definitely a dull color as if theyve been oxidised, and rubbing the exposed pipes above the fans for a bit brightened them up noticably, so hopeful that the flux will help. I cant get the LM to stick to the GPU pipes at all.

Idle seems to still be around 60C

Could that lack of that sticking to the heatsink be the source of the extra 10-20C of heat versus what you and Revolutionx are getting?

I've also bought a used spare heatsink for going back to normal paste, afraid the JBweld may effect thermals negatively since on the haswell CPU setup the CPU actually goes over the aluminum a bit.

And @Vistar Shook isnt the whole point of doing this because of the poor contact and using the LM to make up for it?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  3. Rothcall

Reputations:
    This is what it all looks like, after my probably 20th time opening it and trying to figure out what to do. Still waiting on stuff to arrive. I thought maybe that i had the LM on the CPU side of the heatsink in the wrong spot but doesnt seem it was that.. what all should i be doing differently?[​IMG][​IMG]

4. PRSnow

PRSnow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I believe that would also work.

The pics you posted show very poor LM contact to the heatsink which confirms my suspicion. The GPU heat pipe is better but not great either. The copper definitely needs to be cleaned because the surface oxidation can act as an insulator. (It's possible thermal paste is less affected by that vs LM due to specific additives but that's purely speculation.)

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not really...as far as know LM works best when there is a nice flush contact between the heatsink and die. When it is uneven and or has gaps, a high viscosity paste is sometimes better and easier even though the thermal conductivity is not the best.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  6. Rothcall

Reputations:
    Ok so while waiting for stuff to arrive i had the idea to suck up a drop of the LM on the blade and put it in an old HP DM4 thats been lying around that had a shiny copper heatsink, the LM stuck and spread in an almost beautiful way so im really hopeful cleaning the blade heatsink will help.

7. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not sure if this is a troll post or what...That is absolutely terrible. That is bar none, the worst paste job I have ever seen and I mean this truthfully.

Clean ALL of that up. Post pics when it's clean and we can proceed.

Vistar Shook and Rideass like this.
  8. Rothcall

Reputations:
    Not a troll post, just a noob flailing around trying to do something new with no instruction outside of some forum posts, thats what it looked like afer 20 something trial-and-error attempts at figuring out what was wrong. The supplies to clean it up should be arriving today, i hope.

EDIT: got the soldering flux but.. not quite sure how this is gonna clean the copper now that i have it.. am i supposed to let it sit and then remove it? after a few applications and then removals the black ring around where the GPU was is still there, and the dark spots left by the LM have gotten lighter but i cant get them off. The copper is still dull

EDIT2: Decided to try something that's worked well on pots before, vinegar mixed with some salt seems to polish the copper a lot better than the flux paste, but theres still some grey spots where the LM was

EDIT3: i think its about as good as im gonna be able to get it without further instruction, gonna start on trying to get the blue gunk out from around the GPU die

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  9. Rothcall

Reputations:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Still have a bit of the gunk to remove but this is what it looks like so far @LVNeptune

Not sure what to be doing next

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. Rothcall

Reputations:
    A-are the spots in the red circles supposed to be like that, particularly the smaller one?.. i think something may have broken while removing the blue tack.. Anyone? I think i'm gonna be sick..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Vistar Shook likes this.