Liquid Metal: how long before repasting?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Hosom, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    True, but I have seen stories about negative experience with HIDEvolution, GentechPC and XoticPC, and it is much more easier to bring notebook back to local shop to fix issue than to send it back to these resellers especially if you are an international customer ;-)

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This is true, the biggest worry I would have is if something happens at the local shop and then HID or Gentech says "oh sorry you voided your warranty." With them you get a little piece of mind in that regard.

3. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    Well, they both allow repaste by customers, so that shouldn't void anything, and if local shop would break something doing this - I would hold the local shop responsible and force them to fix stuff that they broke ;-)

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If the local shop puts on too much LM and it leaks and destroys the motherboard, that warranty is gone for sure. And yeah they should fix it, but that's not a path I would want to go down. They may just say "well you shouldn't be carrying the laptop and that's why it leaked" or something silly like that.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    Well, then you just leave them an angry review ;-) Anyway, that's just what I personally would do - when I worked at repair shop back in my native country we always tried to be honest when it came to repairs and not scam or do a half-assed job and never blaming our own fault on customer doing something wrong. Of course, not all shops are like this and some might not have any shops nearby, in which case this won't be a valid option.

6. Hosom

Hosom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, i think i will give it a shot. Probably going to buy it from GenTech PC, repasting with Conductonaut.. they actually have a sale and offer it for free.

I think i am going to buy the GE75 during next week, meanwhile i am still open to any last objections lol

I will note down thermal performance and check it one year later. If it degraded, i will do a repaste by myself using a regular thermal paste (or liquid metal if i will have some spare time to learn how to apply it safely).

P.s. (a bit offtopic) i am still thinking if to buy the msi ge75 with a core i9 or the asus zephyrus gx701. I need the best cinebench score because i will do a lot of rendering.. but the zephyrus looks way cooler and more portable (also thanks to the optional usb-c charger).

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Papusan and Wyoming88! like this.
  8. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

If you would like to travel to Rome, I can work on it (repasting with liquid metal compound with sponge around application to prevent leaks) whatever laptop is, and put on it a six month warranty on labor part by my boss shop.
    My latest tornado F5 CLU's repaste was running from 1 year now with no thermal degradation at all thanks to a balanced heatsink.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cpu+fpu+gpu stress test. 27°C ambient temp today here
    Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Papusan, electrosoft and Mr. Fox like this.