Liquid Metal: how long before repasting?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Hosom, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you want guaranteed lasting, use a graphene pad. :)

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    *graphite pad, and it’s mostly inadequate in high performing laptops because the mounting pressure is too low.

Papusan and Felix_Argyle like this.
  3. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Their job is to sell people stuff, without mentioning any potential drawbacks. This is why you should never believe anything the company representatives say ;-)

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. Hosom

Hosom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They do not offer graphite pads.. and i dont want to open the laptop as soon as it comes in my hands lol

They are not answering back.. i'm really confused right now.

Should i go for the good old kryonaut? How much of a difference between Kryonaut and Conductonaut on a MSI GE75 equipped with a Core i9?

5. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    My personal advice would be to order it as it comes from manufacturer then just repaste it yourself, or ask a friend who can do that, or find a local reputable PC repair shop which could do that for you. This way you will know for sure that you have a properly applied thermal paste and that someone will repaste it for you when the paste will start losing a performance after some time.
    Kryonaut will definitely not cool as well as liquid metal and will most likely not last as long, so either use some other conventional thermal paste (something with higher viscosity) or stick to liquid metal but like I said, just find a local repair shop or a friend who will know how to properly apply it instead of relying on any reseller.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Why would a local PC repair shop be any better than the reseller? Having worked at a local repair shop, I often fixed the work of other local repair shops. I think doing it yourself is the best way to go, but some people don't have the time/desire/know how.

Kryonaut has typically been within 2-5C of conductonaut for me in my thin and light laptops (XPS 9550, 9560, 9570, GS63). It's gotten to the point where I haven't even repasted my Aero 15x with conductonaut because I don't expect amazing results (at least not for the headache). It's also been better for me than nanogrease, GC extreme, or good ol' ICD. My wife's laptop has been running it since the release of the laptop (March 2018 or something) without issue.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Hosom

Reputations:
    No time to properly learn and do it myself. Never worked with liquid metal. Unfortunately I live in a remote village in the northern Tuscany in Italy.. guess what: no one here other than me would be able to apply liquid metal

Ok thanks for your opinion :) but what would you choose if you just needed to click Kryonaut or Conductonaut? Price is the same on GenTech PC. And they do all the work for me. To me it's just a click.

Should I go with Kryonaut or Conductonaut?
    To be or not to be??

8. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    I said "reputable", someone who you know will do a good job ;-)
    That is unfortunate. You should definitely avoid Kryonaut, there was a good thread about it and about the certain reseller who knew Kryonaut does not work well in some laptops and who still did a repaste for customer without warning the customer first.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/need-help-extremely-hot-gs65-i7-9750h-gentechpc.830003/

9. Hosom

Reputations:
    Well, hidevolution does not offer kryonaut. GenTech PC does. Interesting... this increases my confusion level lol

10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, that was work from "reputable" computer repair shops. Just because someone has a good reputation doesn't mean they do a real phenomenal job, especially when the customer doesn't really know a lot about the subject at hand.

I still think something was going on with that user's laptop and it wasn't kryonaut to blame. I still haven't found a laptop that didn't get good temps with kryonaut even after months of use. HIDevolution has had a good reputation for properly applying conductonaut in the past, however there have been some issues with some of their more recent shipments in regards to cooling enhancements. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a conductonaut pasted laptop from a reputable dealer. They should in theory do a good job and make it right (especially for the price they charge). If something isn't right, they should make it right without charging you money. That's how it should be, but that other user had issues just getting that...