Liquid Metal: how long before repasting?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Hosom, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Hosom

Hosom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the beginning i was going to buy a laptop from HIDevolution, making them repaste it with liquid metal (Conductonaut).

Then, after reading here and there i started thinking about it... will the application last forever? Or i will need to repaste it the next year?

Then i came here on the forums and @trias10 told me that if i did not want to repaste it the next year, i should absolutely stay away from liquid metal.

So i decided to ask to HIDevolution's customer service. I asked also GenTech PC's customer service.

They both replied that i should not worry. I should go for the liquid metal and never repaste it in the next 4/5 years or so.

Right now i am really confused. I don't want to check my PC each year, and repaste it with a dangerous procedure. I want it to last something like 3/5 years. And stop.

What do you suggest me?

Go for the best thermal compound or liquid metal?

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I have not repasted the liquid ultra in my M18x for 6 years now. Works fine, temps are still incredible

electrosoft, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It depends. Liquid metal will diffuse into copper over time so you will need a repaste after some time. How soon - it all depends on the material of the heatsink or how much paste was initially applied.

4. Hosom

Reputations:
    great to know!

Im talking about the MSI GE75 heatsink. Don't really know which compound/material is made of

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If the heatsink makes good contact and a copious amount of LM is used, you won’t need to reapply over the useful lifespan of the system.

Papusan, Falkentyne and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Agree... when the heat sink fits well, nothing lasts as long as, or transfers the heat as well as, liquid metal thermal paste. It changes the color of the copper heat plate from gold to silver, but that is totally irrelevant. If stuff like that gets on your nerves more than the value of having good thermal management, then you might want to avoid it.

If the heat sink fit is sloppy, then liquid metal does a terrible job and you need to use something like IC Diamond or Phobya Nanogrease Extreme if you want good results and durability. They work the best with sloppy fitting parts because they are extraordinarily thick and tend to stay put on the parts to which they are applied. Some of the other popular thermal pastes work well enough at first, but they rapidly loose effectiveness because they are too thin and suffer from pump-out issues.

Papusan and Falkentyne like this.
  7. Hosom

Reputations:
    Oh well, i hope that HID or GenTech will make sure that the heat sink fits well tight! People says that they do a great job usually. Actually i am not sure from which one to buy.. probably should go just for the lower price? (I am buying from italy)

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. evenflow153

evenflow153 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just want to say I don’t know what liquid metal is.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's copper so the Gallium in liquid metal alloy will slowly diffuse into it. That's simple scientific fact ;-) This may reduce performance of the rest of the alloy (the remaining alloy will become more brittle and hard which will allow some air gaps) and you may need to re-apply it. Some people get lucky and do not have significant performance loss after several years and some people get less lucky.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/ad43wd/psa_liquid_metal_and_copper/
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-long-does-conductonaut-last.829954/

There is also this thread on this forum, read the section about copper:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-works-why-it-fails-and-how-to-use-it.809332/

Some resellers may do something like applying a little bit of liquid metal to copper heatsink, let it stand like this for a few days to let some Gallium diffuse into copper surface, then clean off this remaning liquid metal and apply the new one before mounting heatsink onto CPU. I don't know whether the resellers you mentioned do this, you should ask them.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  10. Hosom

Reputations:
    lol

I asked again GenTech PC. Let's see what do they answer.. i asked also what happens if i need to reapply it by my own (would their sealing be reusable?)

Why do they sell this service as ever-lasting if it can't be?