Liquid Metal help

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by vIkInG_w0w, Jun 9, 2020.

1. vIkInG_w0w

vIkInG_w0w Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a PA71ES-G that I bought on August 2018 from HIDEvolution with liquid metal applied. It has worked wonderfully these ~2 years.
    Just a couple days ago I started noticing higher than normal temps. I clean the fans regularly and was wondering what is the life cycle of a liquid metal application. Its been almost 2 years and I am not confident enough to repaste LM so I'd rather go normal paste IF I have to repaste.
    Speaking of, which thermal pastes are good? Is there a list of good thermal pastes since I probably won't be able to find some of them.

2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    2 years is too much, you need to repast every 6 months up to one year max, go for LM again or you will lose some performance. So many videos on YT can show you how.

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    The best non metal thermal paste is PHOBYA NanoGrease Exteme

You may also need this for proper cleaning of Liquid Metal:

Coollaboratory Liquid Cleaning Set

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If it already has liquid metal on it a tiny dab refresh should be easy. You could speak to HID.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. vIkInG_w0w

Reputations:
    I thought with LM up to 1 year is just fine while normal pastes should be repasted more frequently. As for LM I know I've seen a lot of videos and all but still get giddy at the thought of messing up. One mess up and its over.

I've got an unfortunate situation, A LOT of the thermal pastes I had in mind don't seem to be available for now (see below). As for cleaning liquid metal, won't 99% isopropyl alcohol do just fine or does LM require special attention? What about if I repaste LM again?

As in just refreshing LM over whatever was already applied?
    Also, I'll contact HIDe for more info.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'd like to add that with a quick search these are my options-
    > Arctic MX-4
    > Arctic Silver 5
    > Arctic Silver Ceramique
    > Cooler Master MasterGel Normal/Pro/Maker
    > Corsair TM30 and XTM50
    > Deepcool G15 and G40
    > Deepcool Z3, Z5 and Z9
    > Kingpin KPx
    > Noctua NT-H1
    > Thermaltake TG4
    > Thermal Grizzly Aeronaut
    > Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1gram (but the price is like $33)

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    You'll be fine with just alcohol. The kit is if you are OCD like me and want to get of every tine bit of discoloration or residue. If you're not too far away from HIDevolution, why not just send it to them and have themn re-paste it with PHOBYA NanoGrease Extreme. It's non metal so it's much easier to apply and clean in the future and has superb performance for a non metal paste.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes you don't need to clean it to reapply it.

vIkInG_w0w likes this.
  8. vIkInG_w0w

Reputations:
    Thing is I'm not from the U.S., so HIDevolution service is out of the question for me.
    I've listed what thermal pastes are available to me, could you please take a look at them? Unfortunately PHOBYA NanoGrease Extreme is unavailable and I'm not sure if they will sell again but PHOBYA do sell some stuff and their "Liquid Metal compound" is on the cards.

9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    I have only tried Kryonaut out of the list you gave me. Started out good, then within 2 days the temps started going up slowly till it reached a point where I couldn't use the laptop. Absolute garbage.

You might wanna wait for others to chime in my experience is only limited to using the 2 or 3 best thermal paste which are not in your list

Vasudev and vIkInG_w0w like this.
  10. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Arctic MX-4 and Noctua NT-H1 are pretty much the same for me. They're great pastes if you don't want to have to repaste very often and offer above average thermal transfer. My current MX-4 application in my desktop is a little over 3 years old and I don't see any temperature degradation. Those two pastes will last quite a while.

Cooler Master MasterGel Normal/Pro/Maker are all meh. They're average thermal pastes, but they're cheap so they're good if you're on a tight budget.

Thermaltake TG4 has above average thermal transfer, but there are better thermal pastes. I haven't tested this one long term, so I have no information on it's longevity.

Arctic Silver 5 is crap. It degrades quickly compared to other pastes, but not as quick as Kryonaut. It has above average thermal transfer, but I would never recommend this paste.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is good for a few weeks until the paste starts to degrade. It was meant to be used in a watercooled setup, but even then it can degrade quick since it degrades rapdly at temperatures above 80°C. I had to repaste my Alienware 17 Ranger every few weeks, which was incredibly annoying. It's good if you can manage to keep temps significantly below 80°C though, but there are better pastes out there.

Phobya Nanogrease Extreme is the absolute best conventional thermal paste in existence at the current time of writing. The only thing better is liquid metal. There's no thermal degradation effect on this stuff like Kryonaut as far as I can tell, and it has the highest thermal conductivity out of any conventional paste. This paste is a must if you want to do heavy overclocking without using liquid metal. I don't have any information on its longevity since I only started using it a few months ago in my Ranger, but thermal performance hasn't degraded at all, so we'll see how long it lasts.

The others I have no experience with, but Phobya Nanogrease is the absolute best in terms of thermal transfer and is the only thermal paste I ever buy now.