Liquid Metal Explained: How it works, why it fails (and how to use it)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by margroloc, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    yea if we're close it will cost you next to nothing, even shipping from me is cheap as I always pass my savings level directly to my fans and customers.

jaybee83 likes this.
  2. woodzstack

Reputations:
    I would have put LM on the GPU, but I would have had to shim it, it was sooo close, but it makes relative perfect contact the way it is, and I didn't want to cause more issue then it was worth, then the temps were fine as is.
    Always have to use your best judgement in these situations.

3. woodzstack

Reputations:
    yeah in those photo's you can see the LM job by EUROCOM and you can see the paler thermal paste they used, if they are saying thats Kryonout, it is not. I would know, I go through like a dozen large tubes a year of that stuff (for reference thats a pound of paste or more).

It's darker grey. period. The Aeronought or other cheaper versions they offer, which are like 10th the price but very poorly performing, are paler and watery and such like the one they used, so I am guessing mainly that it is Aeronought as an example. it might actually be something else even.

Now you will notice when they did the LM, they have a spill on the corners and sides. That never happens with me. I am more careful and take my time. Maybe if I was paid to rush the job and had a boss breathing down my neck telling me hurry up and threatening to fire me, IDK, maybe I would screw it up too and not care, but otherwise normally we take our time and do this carefully. Especially on a 5000$ laptop.

4. oSChakal

oSChakal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Contacted you on your facebook page and on your "wall" here, should be easier to communicante on facebook tho.

woodzstack likes this.
  5. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Also you will notice they try and use superglue in the corners.

I told them if they use superglue to only bad 2 corners and just a tiny bit, do not get it on the silicon wafer, only get it on the glue that was there before...

anyways the black stuff is not glue, its a black silicon, and the best way to repaste/reglue a IHS back on is to go to your hardware store and get a black silicon just like it and put it back.

Never use super glue, is becomes fixed into the CPU and damages it physically where you can not easily put back the IHS if you ever take it off again, it's really silly, the job they do is amateur at best.

6. woodzstack

Reputations:
    I'll just PM you here then, easier that way.

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @woodzstack just curious, what do you do to get the super glue off the PCB?

woodzstack likes this.
  8. woodzstack

Reputations:
    there are things to dissolve superglue, but I have never yet done that, instead I replace the IHS so that I do not have to worry about the obstruction created by it, and if I can carefully remove some of it physically by snapping it or scrapping it off, I try but I always try and NOT touch the CPU itself, touching the IHS is not an issue, I go full mental on those and grind anything I want away or polish it or clean it however I like.

essentially - DO NOT USE super glue... use a silicon based glue like is already there like the pro's.

9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On my Eurocom delid I couldn't dissolve the super glue on the PCB using acetone, so I resorted to sanding it off carefully with 1000 and 2000 grit paper. The dried super glue was getting in the way of the Rockit IHS having good contact with the die, otherwise I would've just left it.

10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    ouch, sanding paper on the cpu? o_O i just use the plastic tip of a pen to scrape off the black silicon seal. since the plastic is softer than the green cpu pcb it doesnt damage it and pens are cheap and repeaceable ;) im sure it would also work nicely on the superglue residues.

and yeah, thats definitely not kryonaut on the gpu by eurocom...

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.