Liquid Metal Explained: How it works, why it fails (and how to use it)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by margroloc, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    ok, gotcha :) depending on your ambient dustiness, u wont need to repaste for like 6-12 months. as for thermal pads, they can be reused several times, just keep an eye on tearing.

2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If your heatsinks are anything like mine, you might actually get better results going with traditional thermal paste on top of the IHS. When I took mine apart and tested the fit before and after paperclip/toothpick mod with pressure paper, yes the mod improved contact slightly but it still wasn't good enough to where I felt like LM would help. That's why I didn't bother with LM on the IHS and GPU (even though I have the perfect material for LM foam dam) and went with Prolimatech PK-3 instead. Although any viscous thermal paste like IC Diamond would do as well (I would not use Kryonaut because it has low viscosity which I confirmed when I cleaned off the original Kryonaut).

3. oSChakal

oSChakal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know how to remove LM from a heatsink/CPU and I'm not sure I feel confident doing it.

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    EXTREMELY EASY

1) on CPU, 91% alcohol and any disposable cloth. Toilet paper works too. Just make sure you clean off the fibers when you're done.
    2) on LM: first use napkins and 91% alcohol. Once all the main hardened stuff is gone, take 3000 grit sandpaper to it. Since you are POLISHING and not actually sanding, you can just use your fingers.

Don't think too much. It's a lot easier than it seems. It's just annoying.

oSChakal likes this.
  5. oSChakal

Reputations:
    I'll be buying 91% alcohol right away then.

But when you say *On cpu* you mean on the die or on the HIS? Because usually, there's LM on the CPU AND the heatsink. Sorry if this is a dumb question

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    3000 grit sandpaper + 91% alcohol on heatsink.
    any cloth (Please exercise full anti-static precautions first) on CPU + alcohol on cloth or tissue paper..

Papusan likes this.
  7. oSChakal

Reputations:
    Just ordered some CLU and I'll pick up the sandpaper and alcohol later today.

Since you obviously have knowledge with LM, do you have any guides/tips on how to apply it as a beginner? I'd like to apply it on the GPU too if possible.

8. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just wipe off as much of the LM on the heatsink as you can until the paper stops turning black. I prefer using coffee filters because no lint lol. You don't need to worry about the permanent stain on the copper since that's only cosmetic and won't affect temps, and since your laptop is so new I doubt the LM has been on there long enough to react with the copper so much to require sanding for a smooth finish. IME a little bit of roughness from dried LM doesn't affect temps either.

It's a bit tricky to apply LM the first time plus you should probably have some kind of runoff protection around the IHS and GPU die, like a foam dam using that window seal I linked previously. It's a pretty involved process overall and honestly if you're feeling chicken don't worry about LM. Like I said the heatsink is not good enough to benefit from LM IMO and traditional paste would probably work as well if not better. In the past I would never use LM unless I was confident of the results from the pressure paper test. Using LM on a heatsink with no pressure or god forbid a gap is pointless.

9. oSChakal

Reputations:
    Just wanted to update everyone.

I bought everything, I was ready to clean some LM and to my surprise, Eurocom didn't apply LM like it's stated on my invoice, instead it was probably Kryonaut or something like that.

I am beyond pissed, the temps were good, but still; don't give option/ charge customers for a service that you don't or can't provide.

I repasted and partially repaded (still waiting for the rest of my pad to arrive) with Hydronaut, temps are exactly the same.

But still, I am pissed about the whole thing.

10. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks to @woodzstack I was saved and he done pretty good job. @Eurocom should have to work there service level.

woodzstack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.