Liquid Metal and 33+ tape

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by B0B, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I used the thin foam from a 120mm fan filter for liquid metal dams as I previously mentioned when I added the thermal pad between the mobo aluminum foil shield and chassis back on March 1, 2020. Yesterday I took apart the MECH-15 to see what size resistors I needed to shunt mod the 2060 and found the foam dams were in stellar condition, doing exactly what I intended them to. I reassembled it using the same foam dams. They were in great shape and totally reusable.
    Foam_Dams.jpg
    @Falkentyne @Papusan @B0B

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is that a 7+1 phase vrm for the 2060? Damn.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    These resistors certainly are tiny little critters. They look exactly like those on the 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti, but they're about 1/3 the size of them. I ordered 8 ohm through-hole resistors from Digi-Key so I can tack them to each end instead of stacking them. Should be easier to deal with considering how small they are.
    20200725_115145.jpg

seanwee likes this.
  4. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you take a clear pic of a mosfets and also the entire gpu power delivery? I'd like to take a closer look at what Eluktronics's implementation is.

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I will try to get a better image when I take it apart again. I only have my LG V30 phone camera. I'll take it out in the Phoenix sun next time. That may help with the clarity.

I was all ready to go with the shunt mod today until I discovered the extra resistors I had from the 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti shunt mods were massive in comparison. I think one of those resistors would cover up both of these, LOL.

miloaisdua likes this.
  6. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah for sure. As far as I know only mxm gpus use desktop size shunt resistors. On laptops they just use flat ones. Didn't even know there were miniature versions of the desktop shunt resistors myself.

Looking at the picture again there seems to be another pair of R010 resistors near the battery pins. That might be a separate rail that feeds extra power to the gpu. I'll need a clear high resolution pic to know for sure.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes there are. The PCB is labeled RCH1 and RCH2 for those two R010 resistors next to the battery connector. The two near the GPU capacitors are RCH5 and RCH6.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yup, they look identical in design, just much smaller.
    Here is a look at one of them on the 2080 Ti.
    [​IMG]
    I did a shunt mod on the 2080 Ti using through-hole resistors, but they were 10 ohm and didn't work. Had to drop down to 8 ohm. But, they were easier to tack in place. I just tinned the wire first and it was super easy to attach (and remove). Only had to touch it with the soldering iron like 1 second on each end.

[​IMG]
    I will use these two Fire Strike stress tests from today for comparison after the shunt mod. With Eluktroboost it already holds boost clocks better than most competing laptops, but I'd like to see it at least hold 2100MHz sustained under load. Temps are pretty decent as well. I hope that allows it to hold higher core voltage as it did with 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti. I really hate Turing and Pascal firmware algorithms. First one was with "Balanced" power plan. Second was using "High performance" power plan.
    FS Stress.JPG
    fs2.JPG

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  9. miloaisdua

miloaisdua Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ah, I wish i thought of that. keen to see how easy/tidy it turns out. i might redo mine if i ever need to open mine up again, its rather ugly at the moment :).

max temps on your gpu show as 79c. probably not much more wriggle room on voltage? still benefits to be had from the card not dropping clocks due to short spikes n power limit throttling though.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    This should be kind of interesting to play with. Don't have the resistors yet, but this was delivered today. This is an old resistor I took off of a shunt-modded GPU before selling it a couple of years ago. The image is a little blurry because it is still in the plastic bag, and the bag isn't perfectly clear.
    ms.jpg S20200728_0001.jpg
    A couple of shots of a part on my desktop mobo. The close-up is with the camera lens about 1/2 inch away from the part.
    S20200728_0001.jpg S20200728_0002.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Johnksss and seanwee like this.