Linux VM on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Starlight5, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    I'd like to set up a Linux VM on Windows 10 Pro host laptop, for web browsing (a few tabs on Firefox with LOTS of plugins) & messaging over separate VPN connection running in Linux, with battery life in mind. Should I use Hyper-V or VMWare vSphere Workstation Pro, and which Linux distribution would you recommend?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Vasudev and jclausius like this.
  2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm using VMWare Workstation Pro. I personally don't know how it compares to the others. My setup for years was Win 7 Pro as host with Linux guests. Switched that up a few months ago - Linux host with Windows guests.

In regards to distro, after messing a bit with some different ones, here's my order of preference:

1) Linux Mint
    2-3) Linux Mint (yes, I like it that much!)
    4) OpenSUSE Leap
    5) Ubuntu
    7) Pop! OS
    8) Fedora

I haven't tried any of the others like CentOS, Debian, etc.

3. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @jclausius I generally prefer Debian-derived stuff - but in this particular case I need the most power-effective solution, and will go with whatever VM and distribution meet this goal best. Sadly, I can't try and test a bunch of VM-distro combinations to determine which one provides best battery life, since I need it up and running tomorrow, two days tops - hence the thread.

As for Linux host Windows guest - can't run it at all, Linux doesn't support Intel 802.11ad hardware. )'=

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  4. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Pop! is used on laptops. Otherwise, my guess is the mainstream distros will all pretty much be the same wrt resources within a VM.

I wonder if Minix ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINIX ) or BSD would suit your needs.

I wish you well.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Vasudev and Starlight5 like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @Starlight5 vSphere is a enterprise grade VM then, I will suggest installing Linux to the host itself w/o any VM. That's faster and gives you long battery life.
    I felt Xubuntu or Lubuntu or Mint to be faster and less resource intensive. Also, you can use persistence on a USB flash drive.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @Vasudev installing Linux is sadly out of the question, it lacks support for my hardware.

I need some Windows traffic to bypass VPN occasionally. The only solution I see is to turn off VPN when this is needed, and use Linux VM with VPN for traffic that definitely requires it when VPN is off in Windows.

Maybe there's a better solution to my problem?

p.s. WSL sadly doesn't support iptables and there's no estimate, otherwise I'd just use the might of iptables on Windows and had no prolem routing traffic correctly whatsoever.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Is it CoffeeLake?

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @Vasudev it's Skylake with Intel 18260 802.11ac/ad card and corresponding WiGiG dock.

USB persistence is out of the question, I still actually need Windows OS for the tasks that need to bypass VPN.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Other than your Intel wifi card everything else will work 100%.
    Is it VPN software on Windows or pure VPN from ISP?

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @Vasudev on Windows, I have VPN client from VPN provider, with killswitch, bells and whistles. On Linux, should be fine with properly configured iptables. Protocol is OpenVPN, of course.

Vasudev likes this.