Linux Tips and Tweaks and Other Help

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Mr. Fox, Jul 15, 2020.

1. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try, but he power limit slider is still locked out though. I just ended up redoing the shunt mod so that it has a lower limit on the power. Ubuntu just doesn't give me much control over the power in software for my RTX 2070 Super Max-Q gpu.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, I just did a clean install of the latest POP_OS! in Legacy BIOS mode and discovered that 5.1 audio works great on the Z490 Dark K|NGP|N mobo.

Screenshot from 2021-02-14 22-17-45.png

FWIW... DOOM runs on Linux with official support. DOOM Eternal is not "official" but using Photon Experimental it seems to work just as well as the prequel.
    I just tested it and it seems perfect.
    DOOM Eternal_1.jpg DOOM Eternal_2.jpg
    I do not care for Middle Earth: Shadow or Mordor or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I own them primarily because they have a built-in benchmark. Both of those run fine as well.
    Middle-earth™: Shadow of Mordor™.jpg Deus Ex: Mankind Divided™.jpg

Kaloyan, Vasudev, alexhawker and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I finally found time to carve out half of my 1TB Windows 7 SSD to make some room for Linux on the CPU binning bench. Now every computer I own is running Linux, including the TongFang turdbook. Lutris works well for running Cinebench (spoofing Windows 7).
    Cinebench-Linux-Trio.JPG
    The all-core turbo is 5.0GHz but the BIOS set 5.2GHz on the two favored cores, so Cinebench is seeing that. These are running at 5.0GHz, not 5.2 as Cinebench indicates.

steberg and Vasudev like this.
  4. Greel

Greel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hey is there any sheets that tell which vendors play nice with linux?

looking to get po_os on a gaming laptop but weary of what to purchase as i read some systems dont play nice (ex: newer ryzen) where as i know some vendors even sell linux preinstalled (lenovo and dell)

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Clevo works well with Linux and so does my Eluktronics MECH-15 (TongFang). In fact, System76 (POP!_OS creators) sell Clevos with Linux pre-installed.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Vasudev, jclausius and etern4l like this.
  6. Greel

Greel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what about gigabyte? i was looking at the Aero 15 with rtx 3070 (light/smaller and decent enough battery to use for 4 hours on the go for media/browsing).

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I am not sure. Maybe @Spartan@HIDevolution knows since he owns a Gigabyte laptop.

The trouble you can run into with many laptops is there are some that rely on crappy Windoze 10 software to function correctly and that software is not available for Linux. When that is the case can sometimes end up having missing functionality using anything other than Windoze 10. That is a very dishonorable and dishonest business practice, but it is sadly common.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We're looking at you Alienware...

Is it dishonorable and dishonest or just trying to save money by not developing multi-pronged applications for the ever branching ecosystem that is Linux? Now, not making at least some of the code open-source is a different matter. Screw those guys for not at least letting us develop our own stuff (without reinventing the wheel).

Mr. Fox, etern4l and Vasudev like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    With nvidia proprietary driver running all the time for no-optimus it should be fine. There are cases when everything works fine in LiveCD mode but fails post-install with no display or RGB lighting.
    Don't expect more than 3 hrs on stock linux settings. You need to tune your system either by undervolting or by using TLP/Tuned-gtk. Main issue is nvidia gets toasty when in battery mode and thinks opening file manager needs max performance and still cause stutters or frame skips on 460.x drivers.

Its been 6 yrs and products are EOL still no support from Dell and they insist to buy XPS 13/15 developer edition after buying AW costing $2k+ so that Linux runs smoothly even when AW are perfectly suitable to run Linux w/o RGB lighting of course!

jclausius, Gumwars and etern4l like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    A better approach would be to stop building computers that rely on software to make hardware work correctly. If something needs to happen, then they need to take the time and effort required to make the settings available in the BIOS and stop the stupidity of relying on software. Having Windows software available to make it easier for those scared to venture into the BIOS is fine. I support that 100%. But, making software the only available option for adjustments from within the OS is just totally lame and it sucks.

Last edited: May 6, 2021