Linux Tips and Tweaks and Other Help

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Mr. Fox, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I haven't ever been able to get excited about virtualization. I have tinkered with it off and on over the years, and haven't experienced any difficulties with it. I can certainly see where it is very useful for certain purposes. It just isn't useful or interesting to me.

TheDantee likes this.
  2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My way around this has been to create a small library of shell scripts. I take them / modify them to fit the environment. Then when I run something like :

~/scripts/show_dns.sh or ~/scripts/restart_desktop.sh

I don't need to necessarily recall if there's something specifict to each distro... I just know my script that is used to execute a certain task translates from system from system after I've had to make an adjustment to a certain distro only command.

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, that is a great idea and I have done something similar. I have a simple text document that I save on a data drive shared between Windows and Linux and I keep adding things to it so I do not have to remember or look through my bookmarked internet shortcuts to find the information. That way when I am setting up a new Linux installation I simply access that text file and copy/paste into a Linux terminal and keep going. I am starting to remember things as I refer to it as a cheat sheet and I expect that I will eventually seldom need to use it as a reference.

This is all fantastic discussion. It probably belongs in another thread since it is off topic. My bad for getting it off track.

jclausius likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Moderators - I don't see a good Linux thread for this type of discussion. Would it be possible to put everything from post #2994 forward into this new thread, and then pin the thread? I will change the content of post #2994 after it is moved to make it a suitable thread-starter.

Linux Tips and Tweaks and Other Help

Thanks! Have a nice Friday and a good weekend.

Edit: Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Vasudev and jclausius like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I am the lazy type and like Linux Mint because it looks nice, doesn't require a lot of effort, and generally just works well overall. Plus, I am looking for Linux to replace Windows 10. I have been playing with Linux for 15+ years mostly as a novelty, but only recently getting serious about it because Windows 10 is such a pile of crap. So, while I am not new to Linux, I am still somewhat of a noob in terms of being a useful source of information for others.

There are plenty of Linux experts hanging out around here. @ALLurGroceries seems to be overflowing with Linux knowledge.

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    All of that is old information and from what I can tell all of this support should already be included in the latest Linux kernel. Also, everything I have read (including the links you posted) circles around getting audio working on a system with no audio. I have audio and always have. The issue is I only have stereo output. The center, rear and subwoofer channels are functional and my 5.1 audio works in Windows. I only have front left and front right channel output in any Linux distro that I have installed. At this point I have simply decided I should be grateful that I have functional audio and don't really have any expectation that Linux will support my system's 5.1 audio feature set. I wish it did. It would be nice if it did. Unless it starts working someday, I guess I will have to use Windows if I want to enjoy using the additional speakers.

I also located this information: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/sound-blaster-ae-5-5-1-surround-even-possible/113841/11
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewto...xt=we can try:-,1.,Surround 5.1 (or similar.)

What is odd is if I run a speaker test, each channel passes the test and works correctly, but all of the channels are merged as mono (actually not even stereo as I thought) when I look at the output.
    screenshot-9e817a80.jpg
    If I try configuring alsamixer for multichannel I get an "Unable to find simple control" error. I have tried numerous commands and the end result is always the same.
    screenshot-9190f635.jpg
    screenshot-dbb11aa2.jpg

Vasudev, jclausius and TheDantee like this.
  7. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you try with pulseaudio installed?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, same problem. Although it is stereo (not mono as posted above). I also have the latest libasound2-plugins-extra installed, but 5.1 output is not listed. On HDMI NVIDIA HD Audio it is listed, but not for the sound card.

screenshot-93c90901.jpg
    screenshot-ced16dd4.jpg
    Edit: It seems like maybe it is just inadequate Linux driver support from Creative.
    Otherwise, it should work just like the NVIDIA HD Audio would appear to work.
    screenshot-fa234433.jpg

Vasudev and TheDantee like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I also tried this, and still no dice...

PulseAudio - Debian Wiki

Surround sound system
    Many people have a multi-channel sound cards, but use the speakers for the two channels. PulseAudio has no default settings for surround sound support. To enable all channels, edit the file /etc/pulse/daemon.conf: uncomment default-sample-channels (ie remove the semicolon at the beginning of the line) and set it to 6 if you System 5.1 or 8, if your system is 7.1.

# Default
    default-sample-channels = 2
    # To 5.1
    default-sample-channels = 6
    # To 7.1
    default-sample-channels = 8
    After making the changes, restart Pulseaudio.

Vasudev and TheDantee like this.
  10. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been looking but it's not a common chip used in many motherboards mostly the Realtek ones so not a lot of love here I found this - https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/aqfx9l/creative_sound_core3d_x_ae5_series_z_series/ and there's also a Linux Driver on the CreativeLabs Website for a different card u may be able to try. You can also try this - https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Nu-Audio-Linux-Drivers-m2989187.aspx sorry I'm not able to find a perfect fix for you though.

Mr. Fox likes this.