Linux Tips and Tweaks and Other Help

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Mr. Fox, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Here is a thread where we can share all of our Linux secrets, tips and tweaks with the community and seek help with any issues getting Linux working correctly. Feel free to share the story behind your move from Windows or Mac OS X to Linux.

This is included for context relating to the posts that follow. The original content was off-topic in another thread.
    Hi bro. High-performance computers are my passion. Up until I started a family 34 years ago (our 5 kids are all adults now and we have grandchildren) my passions were drag racing and motocross. Aside from giving my wife a nightmarish white-knuckle experience for worry over my personal safety, those were no longer reasonable pursuits on a young man's budget with that many baby bottles, diapers and mouths to feed, so I shifted that passion to something more affordable. Computers are where I landed, initially as a gamer. That passion also lead to a part-time business building custom desktop computers and doing network administration at nights and on weekends. The computer bug soon morphed from gaming into an overclocking addiction as soon as I got a taste of what that was like.

My day job changed around 2005 to involve about 70% business travel and that required that I move from desktops to laptops. On that basis, about 12 years was spent with overclocking Alienware, then Clevo, monsterbooks. I would spend time after work overclocking the snot out of them over a hotel room air conditioning unit forcing cold air into the chassis to keep them from overheating while I competed against desktops on HWBOT leaderboards.

A couple of years ago I got fed up with laptop garbage and moved back to desktops and the overclocking addiction continues with the wickedness you see appearing first in my signature. That beast is my hobby. The laptop in my signature isn't a beast by my own standards, but it is a healthy machine that I use almost exclusively for work and business travel. Compared to a normal consumer laptop, it certainly is no slouch in terms of performance. It is not an enthusiast product, but it does allow me to have an enjoyable gaming experience when I am away for business and not able to access my desktop at home.

I don't miss the cars and motorcycles anymore. They bore me. I'm still a sick puppy old dog where computers are concerned.

TL;DR - vanity

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Reminds me of reading about a guy who put his motherboard in a freezer oh maybe 15 years ago. If I remember correctly, it was a 386 and he was playing Doom or Quake on it. Not very portable though.

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, that is and was a good way of doing it. There was a guy here (had a different forum name back then) that used to bench his laptop in his chest freezer. @cookinwitdiesel

Certain activities do not require portability to be extremely fun. When you're doing those things you're not really thinking about anything else and nothing else matters.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    It got results! Lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Vasudev, alexhawker and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've never been a gamer beyond simple games like freecell (or maybe real adventuresome and play Zuma). I really enjoyed watching both my kids and grandkids play games. (PC and console). I was never able to keep from falling in the lava pits! I still like watching them play!

6. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Been running this MacOS Themed KDE Skin for almost a month on Arch Linux been really enjoying having the bottom dock for apps, makes for a much cleaner desktop. I use Arch Linux as my only OS by the way... love the customization aspect also no bloat stores like Ubuntu based OS with Popshop or snapcraft etc All my Benchmarks are run in a Windows 10 KVM which gives around a 1% performance hit to my Scores but I just am Benching for fun anyway... I use Proton-GE for Steam Games and Wine-Staging through Lutris for others like WoW. Like 80% of my Steam Library works...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Very nice! Windows 10 could very well be the death of Micro$lop. Probably not, but if anything has the potential to kill them, it is the severely flawed failure that Windows 10 represents.

Vasudev, jclausius and TheDantee like this.
  8. TheDantee

Reputations:
    Microsoft will keep going because the majority of consumers just buy a computer and keep the OS on it... I see Mac Market share rising lately because people who use their computer for business or rely on it to actually function need something that works. Most people want to be told what to do they don't know how to do it themselves nor do they want to learn. Do you ever hear those people who are like what Linux distro should I run? They never say what they want to use it for or what they want out of the OS because they don't know themselves they just want a general answer from someone so they don't have to look into it. I Don't recommend Arch Linux to many people due to it being a complex install it's not bad to maintain but the install is a turn off for some people, but for myself, I enjoy customizing and something that's easy to update and can change anything if I want to use GNOME one day and KDE the next I can... Linux will not grow in popularity without being preinstalled onto machines and sold in retail stores but even then people will still cling to something familiar like windows unless the competing OS offers something they want that Windows/Mac Doesn't. Windows 10 is a joke I try telling people but it just gets old after a while because people just say oh it works I get internet all good... just the enthusiasts that care and people that need to actually have a stable OS that cares.

@Mr. Fox I like how Linux is free but not only is Linux free even MacOS is free! So why would anyone spend a dime for an OS that makes your computer slow and filled with bloat!? Makes no sense to me 200$ USD for Windows 10 Pro and 400 for Pro Workstation (needed to use the 3990X with SMT(HyperThreading) enable) that's absurd... even apple one of the most overpriced companies offers there OS free to there user base... cmon now. People just say oh get a license key from one of those key sites for 5-15$ your still paying for garbage over much better free options (Linux and Mac)

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I agree with almost everything you said. All of it conceptually, but I despise Apple products and Mac OS. Other than that, 100%. I'd rather put up with Windoze OS X than use Mac OS X. I don't like either one of them, but I love Linux and Windows 7.

10. TheDantee

Reputations:
    Im not a huge Apple fan myself but if I had to choose between Google Microsoft or Apple I'd take Apple. Apple optimized its software for its own ecosystem but it's understandable there practices are not as bad as Microsoft either. I like how you can air drop files from your iPhone to your Mac all your texts read on your Mac have airpods boom autoconnected to your Mac I want to see a feature set like this on Linux then it would be perfect. I like how everything is just so seamless on Mac it's like all your devices are one. I don't own multiple computers at a time because I hate having 2 different storage devices with different things.. "Oh where did I have that on my desktop or laptop?" I also find I use one system more than the other making the less used system a waste of money. I like Arch Linux over MacOS however I would take MacOS over PopOS Ubuntu Mint etc I find those implementations annoying to use in an everyday environment but that's just me if you value stability I could see why you may need those though my arch has been stable over a year. I can understand you not liking Mac though I know many people that also don't I more like how seamless the OS flows with other devices.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I think I sounded a little dumb when I said I prefer Mac over PopOS Ubuntu and Mint. I actually like the Mint devs trying to give there userbase what they want, I also find PopOS a breeze to use its blazing fast and enjoyable. It's more maintenance on those Ubuntu Based OS I don't like the terminal commands they use compared to Arch "sudo apt-get install packagename" is annoying to type over "yay - S packagename". I'm also a bleeding edge type of person I want the latest now 1 hour ago released I want it if its to unstable for me I will downgrade back and I'm fine with like 1 week delay on packages but like 7 months is a joke... Especially on an OS that is still getting updated constantly with new game support. Popos is running the 440 Nvidia Driver still cmon released at the end of 2019! As just an example. Im the type of person that likes and Advanced yet simple to use OS I don't want an OS that's really hard to use just to look cool that's stupid and a waste of time. Hence why I don't use LFS or Gentoo compiling my own packages every updated is retarded... I don't hate Ubuntu Based Distros I just don't like the core of them to maintain I've used mint and popos for close to a month as a daily driver no dual boots just fine and I even recommend PopOS to anyone looking to play games on Linux as it's very smooth maybe even smoother than my current Arch Setup and steam and lutris is just a quick install away. Linux still does offer more customization than a Mac at the end of the day... I could heavily mod an Ubuntu install way more than a Mac install to make it the way I like it so in that sense I would still choose Linux.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

jclausius and Mr. Fox like this.