1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Linux on the X220

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ksvjdsvagff, May 3, 2011.

1. ksvjdsvagff

ksvjdsvagff Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just got the Ubuntu 11.04 X64 Live CD going via UNetBootin. Will start an install soon.

Let me know if there's anything specific you'd like me to test.

2. Aluminum

Aluminum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. chaose

chaose Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you can test how the fan and battery holds up in ubuntu it would be helpful. Also maybe the special media buttons?

4. EZjijy

EZjijy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You're probably going to end up getting tp_smapi. Let us know about all the troubleshoots you have with it.

5. GomJabbar

GomJabbar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried the Live versions of Fedora 15 beta RC2, Mandriva 2011.0 beta 2, and Mageia beta 2. They all boot up fine.

Have some Mobile Broadband issues (doesn't work) with Fedora and Mageia atm. Using a Sierra Wireless 890 ExpressCard.

Intel 6205 WiFi works out of the box with Fedora and Mageia. Mandriva's Live DVD does not come with the Intel WiFi driver but it can be downloaded and installed from the non-free repository.

6. ksvjdsvagff

Reputations:
    Why would I need it?

7. ksvjdsvagff

Reputations:
    Installed, and currently copying over a bunch of files from my home directory. So far most things are good. Only issue I've seen is that the trackpad driver is not multitouch friendly (which could be rough for this notebook, as it has integrated buttons). But I use the trackpoint, so that's not critical to me.

8. driekus

driekus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks so much akavile.
    Im ordering the x220t, so if your ok with it I will add my experiences in here.
    Lenovo should be commended for making linux friendly computers and having such a large number of linux compatible devices compatible.

As I use Linux solely this was a key decision in my computer choice so this habbit of linux compatibility does make financial sense. Keep up the great job lenovo.

9. ksvjdsvagff

Reputations:
    Sure, no problem.
    I wonder how the tablet support is... there are some additional complications with that.

I'm currently running Youtube videos and it seems to be eating up the battery pretty well... if the estimate is to be believed, there's just 2:50 left. Yet the graphic shows it mostly full, and it's been running for 2.5 hours now.

10. mil2

mil2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's useful for advanced battery management, particularly if you want to adjust the charging start/stop thresholds.

I don't have an x220 (yet), but my experience from t61 and x201 is that they are not multitouch-enabled out of the box, but can be made to be. If you are running xorg-server 1.9 or newer, creating an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-touchpad.conf file with the following contents should enable two-finger scrolling and one-finger tapping:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "My touchpad"

MatchIsTouchpad "on"
            MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
            MatchProduct "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"

Driver "synaptics"

Option "SHMConfig" "on"
            Option "VertEdgeScroll" "off"
            Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "on"
            Option "TapButton1" "1"
    EndSection

11. ksvjdsvagff

Reputations:
    Just ran into a black screen bug -- sound is playing from the Youtube video, and the cursor is changing to a glove when running over links... yet the screen is otherwise black. Don't know a way out except to reboot.

12. mil2

mil2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Was this youtube fullscreen by any chance? The is a known bug when closing fullscreen flash if compositing is enabled.

13. ksvjdsvagff

Reputations:
    Nope, it was definitely not full screen.

14. ksvjdsvagff

Reputations:
    Today's battery status: 23% remaining after 4 hours 40 minutes. The computer is estimating 1:10 remaining with a Youtube video playing.

Usage has been anything but typical: much of the time it's sat idle, at which time it was naturally sipping battery life. So I started running some Youtube videos, which had the CPU running at a constant 25~30%. That really started draining the battery at a dramatically faster rate.

I estimate it would get around 3.5 - 4 hours if running Youtube videos the whole time, and 6-8 for typical usage.

I may try a more realistic test tomorrow. But it's hard to measure start to finish as my usage is very sporadic.

15. kpfogey

kpfogey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    would anybody know if a uefi dual boot of ubuntu and win 7 be possible on the x220? from my understanding, a single boot of uefi win 7 is possible but i'm not sure of dual boot...

16. Volker

Volker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It should work. Just boot into a UEFI-enabled boot manager (legacy grub with efi patches, grub2, or similar). Though I ran into some troubles UEFI booting Fedora 15, perhaps due to some redhat kernel patches. Still investigating...

If you have two drives, you can just format one as GPT and one as MBR and put grub (or your favourite bootloader) on both. Then you can always Legacy BIOS boot if there is a UEFI problem. And after you booted the legacy grub from MBR, you can have it boot anything off GPT disks if necessary.

17. F2a

F2a Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you get it to boot from USB? I can't seem to get it working. Might be my USB drive.

18. ksvjdsvagff

Reputations:
    Yep, worked without a hitch. I think it's F12 to get a boot menu at startup.

19. ksvjdsvagff

Reputations:
    I haven't found a good option to tame the fan in Linux unfortunately. I tried the tp-fancontrol script from ThinkWiki (How to control fan speed - ThinkWiki, but that exits immediately after I launch it.

The fan is pegged at 3500 RPM, with the CPU only at about 40 degrees.

20. ksvjdsvagff

Reputations:
    Just ran into another bug: after waking from sleep, the battery meter shows red, as if there is no power left. However, it does report over 6 hours remaining.