Linux on the Apple MacBook Pro 5,5 (Summer 2009)

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by ALLurGroceries, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prol91

prol91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How many watts does you MBP use according to powertop? what scripts and conf u got?

2. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries http://chromebookbuyer.com Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My reading is all over the place -- I attached a screenshot. Plugged in to mains power, My Kill-A-Watt (meter) says 43-44W.

I've been using an external mouse, the keyboard backlight is on and I have my brightness up. Bluetooth is off and I'm on Wi-Fi. My battery is on 90% and says 3:45 left (in gnome-power-manager).

Please see the recommended packages section for the software I'm using.

Attached Files:

3. prol91

prol91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. ALLurGroceries

Reputations:
    Yeah it's not using that much power that'd be insane. As I said I can stretch it to 4+ hrs if I want to, but usually I'm not on conservative mode.

When my battery isn't charging my Kill-A-Watt says more like 15-20W. And that's with accessories plugged in like USB hard drives, keyboard and mouse.

5. Lyanowu

Lyanowu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I were thinking about is it possible to use bootcamp to install Linux?

6. ALLurGroceries

Reputations:
    I don't know about installing using bootcamp first-hand, but there is a guide here. I used rEFIt during the installation process, but I'm using bootcamp now instead of rEFIt to start my machine.

Edit: Update for new version of pommed which makes the mactel-patched gnome-power-manager obsolete. I've left the removal instructions in case anyone was using the old method.

Edit 2: Update for NVIDIA 190.40. I got build errors the first time, ran it again and it worked. Not sure why. **

Edit 3: Update for the LCD brightness section, I had to add nvidia_bl to /etc/modules on my system for it to work after a reboot.

Edit 4: Update for 2.6.31.5 and NVIDIA 190.42 **(fails for the same reason as .40, must modprobe -r nvidia first).

7. hcmeh

hcmeh Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to thank you for your guide. I've used debian for 10 years and have been looking for some good news about it on the new 13 inch mbps. Tonite I read through your guide and then I ordered me a macbook pro :).

I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread!

8. dirtyjayx

dirtyjayx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey mate great guide but i get this error when i try to upgrade to sid:

Code:
    Calculating upgrade... Failed
    The following packages have unmet dependencies.
      gnome-screensaver: Depends: libgnomekbd2 but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libgnomekbdui2 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: rss-glx but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libpam-gnome-keyring but it is not going to be installed
      gnome-settings-daemon: Breaks: gnome-screensaver (< 2.28.0) but 2.22.2-2 is to be installed
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    Any ideas?

9. ALLurGroceries

Reputations:
    There are unmet dependencies. Try waiting a day or two. You could also try uninstalling the gnome virtual package and then upgrading.

10. dirtyjayx

dirtyjayx Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe that's because i used a standard iso and not the netinst, i ll give that a shot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.