1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Linux on the Apple MacBook Pro 5,5 (Summer 2009)

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by ALLurGroceries, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Updated the howto for 2.6.31.6 and 2.6.32-rc7, newer nvidia-bl from mactel ppa (nvidia-bl-dkms_0.14~karmic), added section on problems with dkms upgrades, added detail for stopping pulseaudio to the audio section, and added blacklisting ssb in the wireless section.

2. lukef17

lukef17 Newbie

Just a quick question. I've recently been pondering the purchase of a macbookpro.
    Have you been able to utilise both GPU's when running linux?
    Every account I've read so far has linux defaulting to the higher end graphics card.
    Bad for temps and battery life.

thanks! awesome guide!

3. ALLurGroceries

I have a MBP5,5 which is the 13", it only has one (integrated) GPU, the 9400. The 15" and 17" have an integrated 9400 and a dedicated 9600M, but even in OS X, there is no Hybrid SLI. They are never used together. In terms of switching between them, it could be possible by changing the PCI ID in xorg.conf. I have no idea since I have a 5,5 which is a 13"... sorry.

4. ALLurGroceries

edit: moved the lspci and stuff to the guide.

5. lagaffe

lagaffe Newbie

Hey dude!

Thanks a lot for your how to. I was getting bald trying to know why Backtrack 4 (ubuntu based) don't recognise the trackpad of my macbookpro 5,5. Spent all the day googling for wrong keywords until I found your thread. And following your instructions to setup the trackpad I got it working in 5 min! Thanks indeed!

Stopped to configure it for today but I bookmarked this thread and will certainly come back to adjust other features. Congratulations for this great tuto!

6. ALLurGroceries

Cool, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad it helped. I've sold my MBP so I haven't been updating the guide, but if there is anything that I can help with let me know. Cheers.

Edit: For full disclosure the reason I sold my mbp was the firewire chipset that would not work with FFADO, even the patched FFADO that uses the newer firewire modules. Bummer because it is a sweet system otherwise.

7. cyphaw

cyphaw Newbie

Hello,

First of all, thank you for your guide, it really helped me to install Debian on my macbook 5.5.

Until yesterday , everything worked fine, except the lcd backlight and the remote (the remote is no big deal but it worked on ubuntu. In fact here I can't even launch lirc).

So I followed the guide and installed dkms (from official repositories) and nvidia-bl-dkms (and did everything as mentioned), and after the reboot, the backlight works but I have problems. I removed the two packages and modules, but nothing changed.

I now have several problems that I can't solve on my own:
    - just before the menu of grub, I have an "error: file not found", just after the "welcome to grub", but everything works well (I don't know if it's related).

- the terminals (on ctl-alt-FX) are moved downway: I just see the first two lines.

- compiz doesn't work anymore, when I try to do "compiz --replace", I get:
    Code:
    compiz (core) - Fatal: glXCreateContext failed
    compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
    compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Launching fallback window manager
    Window manager warning: Workarounds for broken applications disabled. Some applications may not behave properly.
    If I try with fusion-icon, the screen just blink but nothing change.

Does someone had the same problem or have any idea on how to solve it?
    I just installed Debian a week ago, I can do it again but I'm afraid to get the same problem (I need the backlight to work).

By the way, I'm using the nvidia proprietary drivers 195.36.24. The problem might come from that, does someone had problems with older versions?

Thank you for any help.

8. ALLurGroceries

Try glxgears, if that doesn't run, reinstall the nvidia drivers and you should be all good with compiz.

For the grub file not found error, it's of no concern and unrelated to your problems.

Try a newer (karmic or lucid) version of nvidia-bl-dkms from the mactel ppa.

I sold my mbp5,5 months ago, so I no longer update the guide. Best of luck.

9. cyphaw

cyphaw Newbie

Well that's too bad, since your guide is certainly the most up-to-date that I could find for this computer.

By the way, trying glxgears gave me an error: Error: glXCreateContext failed, and my friend google told me to reinstall the driver nvidia. Now it works, so thank you.

By the way the terminals problem seems to appear randomly, that is strange.

And a last thing, were you able to use the remote with your macbook? I tried with lirc but it crashes each time. I'll try to make it work later, but I'd like to know if it worked for you, if you tried.

Thanks again (I was ready to reinstall debian).

10. ALLurGroceries

Glad it worked out for you... about the remote, do you mean the wireless thingy with multimedia controls? I don't think I got one with my mbp. Looks like a m-a a-i apple-remote should do the job, after downloading the source, according to this. It's a bit old so maybe there is a better way, like a kernel config option and then just building it from the kernel tree.

I guess I could update the guide... I'll try to remember to do that this weekend.

11. cyphaw

cyphaw Newbie

Yes that little thingy but that page is old (2006) and the download link is dead. I think that it may refer to a deprecated module.

It should simply work with lirc (according to debian wiki and my experience on ubuntu) but it crashes on debian. I guess I'll just wait, it will eventually work, and it's not so useful (well that's cool to be able to change your music and volume with it, but no more).

By the way, if you update your guide, you can say that it worked using nvidia-bl-dkms_0.16.9~lucid_all.deb and nvidia NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.36.15-pkg2.run

12. ALLurGroceries

Yeah I can't see it in the kernel config, so it's gotta be pretty obsolete. the Ubuntu wiki has a report I guess you've seen, there is a thread here on ubuntuforums, but there is some n00bish stuff going on there, like blacklisting applesmc, a bit silly. From there there's a ubuntu bug report that then links to a fedora kernel patch that was updated for at least 2.6.34. There's another patch linked from the debian wiki that's only a few lines, so it could be easily applied manually.

Hopefully one of those roads brings you to the right place.

Thanks for confirming the versions that work.

13. cyphaw

cyphaw Newbie

Yes I have seen those, and I was in this thread, you can see how hard to make it work on ubuntu (and lirc worked, here it doesn't). Blacklisting applesmc and usbhid was meant to prevent them to load before other modules I think, strange but it worked.

I may try the patch later.

14. ALLurGroceries

lulz, my bad. If you'd posted what you'd tried I might have realized earlier that I have no ideas for you that you haven't beaten into the ground.. ;) If you find a solid solution with a patch I'd be happy to put it in the guide. Good luck!

15. cyphaw

cyphaw Newbie

In fact I installed ubuntu first. I prefer debian, but I can't deny that more things would work out of the box with ubuntu, especially on a brand new computer. I did make nearly everything work, and now that this computer begins to be supported (and that ubuntu began to bug) I decided to switch back to Debian.

I think I did the right choice, except the remote, everything work (I supposed it would not have been as easy in last september), and I got rid of all those things that I hate in ubuntu (frozen packages (I was stuck with the sound problem of kernel 2.6.31 for 8 months), sudo (if you remove the sudo, you never know if you need to type the root or user pass, that's really annoying), useless help everywhere...). Well but let's not start an ubuntu vs debian thread.

If I manage to make it work I'll post the method here.

16. ALLurGroceries

I updated the guide with the newer versions of the nvidia driver, nvidia-bl-dkms, 2.6.31.13 and a dump of system information. This will be my last update to the guide, unless someone contributes some new info. I don't own the machine anymore so I am doubtful about my ability to maintain it and not have it turn into an unusable mess of confusion for new users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.