Linux on Acer 1410, 1810TZ and 1810T

Discussion in 'Acer' started by PatrickVogeli, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohiomoto

ohiomoto Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    UNR is pretty much just a different user interface. I really, really like the way it's set up and works and I knew it as soon as I used it, but you should try a Live USB of it to see what you think.

2. jshane

jshane Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, sounds like my experience with XFCE. It had a good feel and fit the way I work. But does UNR have a 64 bit version that takes advantage of the dual core CPU in the 1810T? All I've seen so far seems to be 32 bit.

3. ronin85

ronin85 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've installed Win7 and Ubuntu 9.10 (both 64-bit) in my 1810TZ. Windows 7 only runs in AHCI Mode and Ubuntu in IDE Mode. Is there any AHCI driver for ubuntu? I'm tired of changing SATA Mode in BIOS everytime I restart to change my OS.

4. bruceliz

bruceliz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    With BIOS updated to version 3303 Ubuntu should boot in AHCI mode.

5. jshane

jshane Newbie

Reputations:
    @basicasic Thanks for the tip on SATA mode. Installed ubuntu 9.10 on my 1810T and needed that bit of information. After initial installation rebooting would get as far as a blinking caps lock light and stall (kernel panic?). Anyway, your tip came to mind and after making that change in the BIOS settings it boots like its supposed to. Works great now.

6. ohiomoto

Reputations:
    That happened to me with 9.04, but AHCI is working fine with 9.10. Maybe I updated my BIOS somewhere along the line, but I'n not 100% if that was it or not.

7. ohiomoto

Reputations:
    I got it working. I accidentally uncommented one of the commented lines. :eek: Everything appears to be working properly.

8. ronin85

ronin85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your help!! It really worked. Now ubuntu runs OK flashing the BIOS to the last update.

9. jshane

jshane Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been looking for directions how to flash the BIOS of my 1810T under Linux but haven't found any yet. I did find the 3303 version of the BIOS on the Acer web site but not the steps needed to actually install it. Thanks for any pointers. Probably right in front of me.

10. ronin85

ronin85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Use a "Windows XP Live USB Edition", get the BIOS update from the Acer Support web and run the .exe if you don't have a Windows installed in your laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.