Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's the first thing I tried after the hype train, an OS made for Linux laptops an Apple-esque HW-SW integration. But, Pop OS only worked in LiveCD/USB mode and refused to install on AW BGA due to installer can't continue bugs. Even connecting to internet didn't start the installer eventhough its based off Ubuntu 18. Installed Ubuntu 18 in 5 mins w/o any fuss.
    On Ubuntu 20, Nvidia optimus is same as what Pop OS offers! Nearly killed my Progenitors when I had the BGA on a lap and it got stuck at blackscreen when I thought it was shut-off. I noticed when I felt discomfort and sweaty and thought it was higher ambient temps but in reality, it was damn hot and was stuck due to nvidia optimus. I have reverted to Intel iGPU permanently!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Sounds like what you are experience is an Alienware trashbook issue. I'm glad your Progenitation modules survived. :vbwink:

I really hate hybrid graphics switching garbage. It sucks. Should be one or the other, integrated or discrete, or a mux for switching manually. The hybrid approach is trash.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks.
    Its not an issue with Hybrid approach otherwise my sister's laptop which has amd m330 and broadwell BGA should be overheating on Linux but it working w/o any issues. AMD dGPU rarely switches unless you're coding or doing lite gaming on Linux whereas nvidia runs 100% of the time when you're opening file manager and clocks are at 100% the moment I use my mouse. Another issue is dGPU nvidia doesn't power off when not in use but continues to run. Any tweaking to turn off the BUS/PCIe or whatever permanently disable dGPU and needs fresh install to wake it up on Linux. These issues hold me back from buying BGAs w/ Nvidia that doesn't play nice.