Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If by respectable you mean in the same way a mob rat joins the Witness Protection Program to become a "respectable" member of society, then sure, I guess you're right:D

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm a poor guy running Win 10 Home Garbage with Pro and Enterprise scripts and everything w/o any issues. I think MSFT should streamline Win 10 to one version or atmost two. Too much choices are confusing.
    Although, I'm beginning to get sick of Win 10 and will be moving to LSTC 2020/2021.

jclausius and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    As long as what remains is equivalent or better than Home I would agree. There is no legitimate reason for Home to exist. It does only to help facilitate screwing consumers by making it more work to cut back on the data harvesting and Digi-Nazi control freak nonsense.

Token CDN and Vasudev like this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I agree. Nowadays, Ubuntu 20 and other distros with LTS is pretty solid and on-par with Windows performance like battery life and processing speed. One thing that is not working correctly is Proprietary Nvidia optimus and fractional scaling on the same.

Aroc and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Token CDN

Reputations:
    Optimus not working how - just wondering what your experience was? When I was playing around I set my Nvidia for "on demand" or whatever it's called (I'm assuming this was supposed to work like on Windows). When I rebooted the nview program crashed, but everything did seem to run fine otherwise. I'm pretty OK with having to logout/reboot to switch gpu anyways.
    IMO, I find that the latest Nvidia drivers for Windows are just crap when it comes to switching now too. I never used to have any problem with it detecting the proper graphics card. Now it's 50-50 at best.

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Hmmm.... Set fractional scaling and reboot with Nvidia GPU and you'll see only broken display. That's why I have set it to nvidia optimized since it uses iGPU.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Token CDN

Reputations:
    Sorry for dredging an ancient post, but would you mind sharing where you found JRiver on sale. I haven't had any luck, and I'm really getting fed up with Windows. The only thing that's stopping me from ditching it completely is the crappy choice of music managers on the Linux front. There still are a few Win only progs that I use, but I'm at the point where I'd be willing to sacrifice them.
    (plus my laptop is old enough now that spending the money to get enough ssd storage space to dualboot properly probably isn't worthwhile)

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You can get the trial version for testing from their Linux forum. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,67.0.html

I have found good discounts directly on their forums. Example: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=126044.0

Once you get on their mailing list they will let you know about sales and discounts.

Token CDN and Vasudev like this.
  9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I got a blank display after reboot. No damn display... Had to use recovery mode and switch to iGPU and only to find its in iGPU mode and had to install special nvidia kernel modules to get it working. Battery life is pathetic in Nvidia optimus Linux since both iGPU and dGPU are powered on consuming 20-45W on battery even with tlp and tuned-adm set to laptop-battery-powersave.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If you haven't already, you may want to try POP!_OS instead of Mint since it is made and optimized by a company that specializes in laptops (thus Optimus also). POP!_OS and Zorin both work great on my BGA turdbook. I found Optimus worked fine, but I installed Mint primarily because I want it to use the NVIDIA GPU all of the time. I don't care about the Intel GPU or battery life. POP!_OS has a stinking ugly UI and skanky wallpaper, so one of the first things you may want to do (unless you like it for some reason) is install the Cinnamon desktop environment. It will look and feel the same as Linux Mint with Cinnamon.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Vasudev, Token CDN and jclausius like this.