Linux Mint 19.2 Tina

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Ultra Male, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Someone in the Mint forums suggested it could be an updated kernel and that could be possible because in the group of system updates is an updated kernel. So far I have not updated the OS and I went ahead and installed my games from the Repo. I'm just trying to figure out when the problem starts. So far I have not had a dropped connection requiring in/out sleep mode. But it's only been less than a day.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  2. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I have such a love/hate relationship with Linux. I really want to love it for it's principles and giving people the opportunity not to have to pay for something they could have for free. But boy oh boy does Linux get frustrating. It just always steers me back towards Windows and MacOS.

Linux Mint 19.2 became real close to being my favorite Mint version but something is wrong with this version when WiFi just breaks and you have to put the laptop in/out of Sleep Mode. Then I noticed my fan staying on only to discover that in Idle Mode the CPU load is averaging 9-13% on Core 1 and 6% on Core 2. Compare that with MacOS on a 2012 Mac Mini that Idles at 1% and Windows 10 that Idles at 2-3%.

I tried ZorinOS and it has issues with the ThinkPad T60's ATI X1400 GPU. You boot and it's just jibberish on the screen. Back to Windows for now, maybe i'll try Ubuntu 19.10 when it releases in October.

hmscott likes this.
  3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you try a different kernel? My default on Mint 19.2 (Tina) is 4.15.0-55, as seen through Update Manager.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    OK I manually booted of the the newer kernel and purged the older one. I only had two kernels listed in the boot screen. Will see if this solved the WiFi drops.

CPU loads are still concerning with idling at 5-9% on each core, that's a little too much. I'm going to try Mint "Mate" edition to see if the CPU loads drop at idle. In the system activity app it shows "Cinnamon" is responsible for around 2-3% of the idle load. I want to see if the overall number drops switching to Mate.

jclausius and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Does it look like the "system" and support processes are taking up the CPU? IO? What processes are sucking down the CPU at idle?

jclausius likes this.
  6. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    As far as I can tell Cinnamon seems to be the offender with a 2-3% load at idle. I'm installing Mate right now to see if the idle numbers drop to acceptable levels which compared to Windows 10 B1903 is between 3-5%. Sometimes Mint will quickly spike to 14-22% percent and quickly drop back down. The spikes happen too fast to see what process is the culprit.

hmscott and jclausius like this.
  7. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hmmm... Well, I know these are different systems, so it's not an apple to apple comparison, but I have 19.2 with NO extra Desklets, VMware has a process that runs in the background, and of the list of other applets running besides the default Cinnamon ones is just CPU Temperature Indicator.

I did a test idle with 'top' for about 90 seconds, and cinnamon (which I assume is the desktop process) consumed from 0.5% to 0.7% with an occasional spike (maybe 6-8 spikes of 3% during the duration but for under 1 second) when nothing else is running - No browser, no email clients, no terminals, etc.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Ok, so I'm on Mint 19.2 Mate edition and the T60 is now almost cool at the exhaust fans whereas with Cinnamon it was constantly blowing hot air but I prefer the Cinnamon interface over Mate. Oh there are always compromises.

hmscott likes this.
  9. evenflow153

evenflow153 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yay! I didnt like this on older versions

hmscott likes this.
  10. diggy

diggy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Updated smoothly on my Dell Precision 5510. One thing I noticed was coming out of sleep there was a significant lag before I was able to enter my password. Updated to the newest Nvidia driver, rebooted, and now that is no longer an issue. Other than that one hiccup, it ran smooth using it over the weekend.