]]>

Linux Mint 18.3 MATE and Cinnamon

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Phoenix, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    Download

Source: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/27/linux-mint-18-3-mate-and-cinnamon-released/

Vasudev and inm8#2 like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nice! Linux Mint with Cinnamon is my hands-down favorite. It's truly awesome and I wish Linux offered enough functionality (by my definition) to kick Micro$loth to the curb and knock all of their teeth out... then maliciously fracture their metaphorical skull, just for spite, because they deserve it for making Windows 10 such a pathetic pile of digital trash.

Maleko48, Vasudev, Primes and 2 others like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't think Linux can match the user base and ease of use documentation offered by MSFT. MSFT is forgiving these days when drivers cause crashes while Linus will bash any under-performing or borked driver from even running on Linux.
    I want nvidia to embrace/merge their driver source to Linux Git tree then finally I can have native nvidia driver working out of the box.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I agree. I do not believe Linux or Mac OS will ever come anywhere close to the market share held by Windows. They are miles and miles apart in that respect. I don't know anyone that actually hates Linux per se, but there is a lot of hate and animosity for Mac OS X and Apple hardware that is jusitied.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Macs aren't optimised as everybody think it is. The Apple EFI holds back most power of CPU and GPU to prevent meltdown.
    Windows is superior to OS X in every way. Even I recently optimised Linux as a test to get Macbook like battery life. Unfortunately, Dell EC prevents me from getting full control on Linux. I get 8hrs on battery on Linux using iGPU and 2-3 hrs on dGPU. If I can successfully set undervolt that stays permanent in Linux I can get another 1-2 hrs on battery. Its close to AW battery spec. of 10.5 hrs on 92Wh.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, the only nice thing I can say about any Apple product is my employer-provided iPhone has a better camera than my Android phone. But, it sells for 300% more and sucks overall, so the camera is not compelling enough that it would ever be a reason in and of itself for me to ever be willing to buy one. The iPhone fanboys at work said iOS would grow on me and I would learn to love it, but about 5 later I hate iPhone more than ever. It has to be the most lackluster and boring tech device that I have ever used. Even more so than the disgusting Lenovo T430 Thinkpad pile of trash I have to use every day for work. Both items are overpriced garbage that offer absolutely nothing of value to my experience of using them. Both are truly pathetic devices, from first impressions forward... End-to-end sucky products, but at least it wasn't my money that got wasted, LOL.

Vasudev and TANWare like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Apple phones are good only for people who aren't knowledgeable about tech and similar stuffs. I used iphone 7 for a day and it failed to sync my outlook contacts from my lumia. I suddenly switched the phone off and gave it to my mom. Apple Stock camera is worse these days and had to use Microsoft Pix app for best camera quality. iTunes mobile app is major headache for my mom since the UI is confusing. Groove music isn't available in India otherwise I'd have removed all Apple apps.

Maleko48 and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    Off topic but, I just got the Kyrocera E6810 dura phone. Great camera, good phone and audio, great display and video and durable. Same phone for my daughter and no more army tank case required for her. I get 5 plus days on a charge ( just use it as a phone and low usage. For $400 I can't complain at all.

On topic I would love to see Linux spank Windows 10 in the market. It may never happen but we all can wish. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Maleko48, Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Which is that phone? All I see is a flip phone with a symbian like OS. $400 is too much for that flip phone unless you collect antique phones.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations: