Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya"

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Phoenix, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  2. Hidef1080

Hidef1080 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My first run was Cinnamon 18.1.
    This time I went with XFCE.

I like Linux a lot!

Phoenix likes this.
  3. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just tried the "Sonya" MATE 32-bit on my Aspire One... it runs quite well, even with a pathetic Atom. Of course playing YouTube videos smoothly is a pipe dream but for learning Linux it fits the bill. I'm planning to sell it now but if I keep it in the end I'll probably convert it to Linux :)

A follow up, now trying the same distro on my 901, and here's my observations:
    • Wi-Fi is iffy, it's a rebranded Ralink RT2870 so kinda expected, though it's very stable in Windows, probably needs to be wired to fix it
    • Bluetooth (AzureWave AW-BT253) surprisingly works very well
    Otherwise it's the same story as my A1.

P.S. Not gonna lie, Linux support on Wi-Fi cards other than Atheros and Intel still isn't perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
    Phoenix likes this.
  4. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also happily running Sonya Mate 64 bit on Panasonic ToughBook CF-31 I got on eBay for amazing price of $168.00. I'm nearly ready to completely dump Windows. It boots so much slower, and runs so much hotter than Sonya. If people invest as much effort as they had to invest to learn Windows, Linux is really sweet!

Hidef1080 likes this.
  5. Jarhead

Jarhead Feel My Heart

Reputations:
    Currently running 18.2 on an HTPC desktop and so far it works nicely with a 4K display. Hard to use unless you're really close to the TV though :).

6. z31fanatic

z31fanatic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Been running it on a Dell E6440 and haven't had many problems. 18 and 18.1 before it were a total disaster. Will see how it holds up.

7. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Every time I try to run Linux on my HTPC desktop, I've got problems with the WLAN or tearing in the video.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Every time I try to run Linux just to try it out, I cannot even get the freakin' WLAN to work and I end up giving up in frustration. If an OS can't provide me with such basic functionality, then I'm not even gonna bother.

9. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was using Ubuntu for a while when making custom android roms but yeah, not worth the trouble. Unless I am in AWS doing server side stuff with a linux distro, I won't bother running it at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The first time I tried Linux on a PC I built, this was probably 10 years ago, I had this Linksys USB external card that worked right out of the box. As did the R60e I had as my Linux box. Ripped DVD playback worked well too, but now I can't get WiFi cards to work, I have tearing in Blu ray rips and Bluetooth doesn't work well either, so my ThinkPad Bluetooth keyboard doesn't work from beyond three feet or so, which kind of defeats the purpose of a HTPC. I'd love to get it up and running, but it's more effort than I want to put in.

Phoenix likes this.