1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Linux emulator for OS X?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by system_159, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. system_159

system_159 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all.

I work as a programmer for a small satellites group. We're currently using cygwin to develop our program. Obviously this requires a Windows environment.

Is there anything like cygwin for OS X? Most of the files are compileable in OS X, but some have libraries that are linux specific, or reference serial port(Linux: COM; OS X: tty).

I'd be happy with a cygwin replacement, or a way to emulate the hardware connections and certain libraries(off the top of my head I can think of only a "real time" library, but there's more). I'm not the most advanced with linux/unix and the shell stuff involved there, so go easy if I'm missing something dreadfully simple. ;)

Thanks

2. Paul

Paul Mom! Hot Pockets! NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I believe you're looking for the Fink Project. You may also want to install X11 from your OS X install disc.

3. geauxtigers

geauxtigers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here is a link I found that shows how to install Fink and Linux apps. Hope this helps!

4. stealthsniper96

stealthsniper96 What Was I Thinkin'?

Reputations:
    fink? that confuses me. is that to like, run linux software on mac? could i run Beryl on my mac!?! *goes and downloads*. i have a feeling im getting over excited.

==edit==

just saw geauxtigers post, wonder if thatll help.

5. system_159

system_159 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks Paul, this looks like what I'm looking for.

I've installed Fink, and all the components of Linux that I'll be needing. One more request, though, does anybody know how to get a linux terminal up via Fink(so I can compile code)?

6. gorn

gorn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Use the standard Mac terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

And export your path to include fink (I use MacPorts so I'm doing this fink path from memory, you might need to change the /sw/bin part)

export PATH=$PATH:/sw/bin