Linux compatible laptop for dual boot, for dev and gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Bnnj, May 12, 2019.

1. Bnnj

Bnnj Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Ideally around 1k, open to good deals up to around 1.5k

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    I'm in France

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Mainly coding, I'll need some computational power.
    I'll set up a dual boot to play on windows, but nothing that's too performance hungry : some minecraft, Starcraft 2, overwatch, dota...

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both.
    I need to move around quite a lot so I need a laptop,
    But when I'm home I'll leave it on my desk, plugged to an external monitor, keyboard and everything. Note that i travel with my keyboard, so i don't need an exceptional one on the laptop.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, but probably no very recent games. Overwatch, minecraft, Starcraft 2...

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    It will be plugged most of the time,battery life is not a main criteria.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'm okay buying online.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    I'll be dual booting Linux and windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    At least 1080

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really, but I'd rather avoid flashy looking things.
    I do want a good quality build, something well finished and sturdy enough to travel regularly

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    At least 256 for the os drive, which needs to be an nvme sad. 500 would be nice, but not mandatory.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Right now, my old one was stolen and I need a new one rapidly for work.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    That's gonna depend on the laptop itself. I can't quite answer this.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I need it for work, so I can't really afford to wait. But I'll find solutions if it does fail.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    No idea.

Notes :
    I've been doing a lot of research and I found some options :
    System76, but the custom taxes and everything for shipping to France are kind of a deal breaker.
    Clevo, if I can have a trusted assembler : I've read around here about obsidian and hidevolution, and some others that I didn't fully explore yet. I figured I might as well ask now to guide my research.
    There's also the dell solution, a G3 seems to be a very good alternative for its price, especially considering my sister's boyfriend is a dell representative and can get me good deals. I'm afraid about the screen quality and the thermals though.

Thanks in advance for your help :)