Linux capable laptop with 4:3 or 3:2 display

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by mandeep, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandeep

mandeep Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I currently own a Thinkpad T450s that has an aspect ratio of 16:9. I'm getting tired of having no vertical space when programming and would like to replace this machine with one that includes a display with more vertical real estate.

As far as I know, 4:3 displays are a thing of the past and 3:2 displays are only found on Chromebooks and Microsoft Surface machines.

I'd like something more powerful than a Chromebook, and something that is able to run Debian which the Microsoft Surface machines don't seem to be capable of.

Am I stuck in 16:9 land forever?

Edit: Made a rookie mistake and forgot to fill out the template:

Budget: $2000 USD
    Battery life: Doesn't really matter
    Tasks: Programming
    Size: Less than 17"
    Refurbished: Sure

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    HP Spectre X2 is a 3:2 12.3" tablet with similar specs to Surface Pro. In the US, BestBuy carries them. With a good return period, you can try and see if it will take Debian

Lenovo is also releasing a "retro" IBM style ThinkPad in October (specs are not released, but the desirable retro Thinkpads were 4:3; I'd be surprised if this one won't be)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...o-thinkpad-confirmed-for-october-2017.806184/

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    mandeep likes this.
  3. mandeep

Reputations:
    Awesome, I can definitely wait til October to see how the retro ThinkPad pans out.

4. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    fwiw, there are chromebooks that come with better processors and a 3:2 screen.

The best being the 2015 Google Pixel LS, which comes with either a core i5, or i7 and 8/16gb ram respectively (not to mention a premium build quality). Used LS's are hard to find though.
    There is also the 2013 Google Pixel with older Core i5 3427U, and 4gb ram. They are going for under $300 usd used and are easy to find such as this one on swappa for $280. They are known to have low (3hr) battery life though.
    The other one is the new Samsung Pro with a Core m3-6Y30 / 4gb ram.

Chromebooks support Linux very well using Crouton, dual boot or even Linux only. There is even custom firmware available.

There is a good comparison of released chromebooks with specs here.

5. mandeep

Reputations:
    Thanks Primes. I actually really liked the Chromebook Pixel 2 with crouton. Unfortunately, the limited hard drive space was a deal breaker.

6. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    I forgot to mention the Thinkpad x62 and x330 mod project. 51nb (a well known Thinkpad enthusiast) has a business now selling Modded x61 and other awesome thinkpads that he replaced the motherboards with modern i7-5500u and i7-5600u CPUs. His company is LCDfans off of facebook

And T70's with full quad cores (motherboard only for now for DIY; full sytem orders available soon according to site)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeFFHJnlP5oITwFJGAIUaZj0ndVULMS_p4JnpbP3OITV75HdA/viewform

https://www.facebook.com/lcdfans/

7. mandeep

Reputations:
    So the Retro Thinkpad was a huge letdown. Is there anything else in the works with a 3:2 or 4:3 display? I might just wait for 51nb to release the T70 as a full system.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  8. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Microsoft has a "Surface Event" Oct 31. So far every product they release has been 3:2... but I wouldn't keep my hopes up for something 14" or larger

mandeep likes this.
  9. mandeep

Reputations:
    Thanks for letting me know. I guess the Pixelbook on Oct 4 and whatever is shown at the Surface Event are the only things to look forward to.

10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A MacBook Pro would offer you a 16:10 screen and quad core if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.