Linux and gaming?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Greel, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Greel

Greel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    was trying to stay close to $2500 max, not really doing work on it more just messing around with linux and gaming.

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I got my model from Dell Outlet for $2300. I added the aftermarket RAM / SSD / 120hz LCD myself. For brand new its possible to just barely get a 7540 / 7740 with RTX 4000 + 9750H under $2500. It is possible to choose Ubuntu as the OS to save some money, just like the XPS 13 Developer Edition. A lot of people don't realize this about the Precisions.

As far as the P750TM1 goes, I would personally try to get it with a 65W processor (the i9-9900 non K is amazing) and 110W RTX 2070 - those components will run nice any cool even without any tweaking. You may even be able to get away with using a 230W AC Adapter for travel which will make it a little more portable. If you are ordering from XoticPC consider asking them about their Xotic branded P750TM that comes with the Prema BIOS. For an extra $49 it is definitely worth it especially if you want to run Linux as your main OS.

Installing any Linux distro should be simple. Just be sure to boot it with nouveau.modeset=0 initially as the open source driver support for current generation nvidia GPU's is usually pretty flaky. You may have to experiment to get display and keyboard backlight control working but other than that it should more or less work. That setup work is essentially the extra cost you pay to companies like System76. They also maintain forks of drivers and kernels so when new releases like Ubuntu 20.04 comes out it insures that the upgrade goes smooth and everything is still supported. Personally I think most Linux users enjoy tweaking things themselves but the issue is with laptops you can sometimes run into a dead end with regards to compatibility and you don't have the option to just swap the problem component with a different brand like you do in a desktop.

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I wouldn't buy from system 76, but popOS seems to be moving along quite nicely is all

4. Greel

Reputations:
    do you still not recommend Dells? i actually wasnt able to buy the Xotic branded P750TM1, financial problem. but i remember i have credit with Dell so i can actually afford the 51m (9700k version).

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it's pretty simple

XOTIC G750 (P750TM1-G)

if you can afford it. should be able to game on low for 10 years

6. Greel

Reputations:
    went with a 51m, as Dell gave me a discount