Linus knows nothing about laptops

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Arrrrbol, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Going to be a bit of a rant here, but I've had enough of seeing people such as Linus make videos like this "recommending" a laptop that thermal throttles out of the box, that has poor battery life, horrible I/O, BGA aids and that costs $2,200. It achieves nothing of what it set out to do: it can't game and its not portable - so what is the point in anyone buying it? The lack of proper criticism from those who review laptops is part of the reason why it has become so acceptable to stick a bunch of flashing lights on your keyboard and call a mid range heap of trash a "gaming laptop".

Can't say I blame them for reviewing this garbage, since Asus likely gave it to them for free - but the quality of the review is terrible and avoids all of the most important things you need to know when you buy a GAMING laptop. I don't think they were paid by Asus, it just seems like a quick low-effort video they felt obliged to make, but one which perpetuates the view that this thin and light BGA aids is acceptable for a gaming laptop.

2. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Linus is all about racking up views and getting sponsorship. He's a YouTuber/entertainer, not a serious reviewer.

Jarhead and Arrrrbol like this.
  3. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Of course, and I have no problem with his other videos dropping graphics cards and so on, but sometimes he puts videos out like this and like the 'baking your GPU in the oven' video which are perpetuating bad ideas and need to be called out.

Convel likes this.
  4. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    At least LTT's videos are better than the garbage that Unbox Therapy puts out.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  5. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its aggravating, especially because he only seems to review similar models from the same companies, I'm sure because he is sponsored and being paid to give them good reviews. Where are reviews for real/good hardware like the MSI 16L13? Something like this should be reviewed and addressed and get a machine like this out there more to the masses, and instead he's schilling BGA garbage that costs more than a machine like this. It's so annoying that I have pretty much stopped watching his videos because I just can't take it anymore. I'll occasionally watch ones like the Model M video but any of his laptop/computer reviews aren't really worth watching imo. I'm sure when there's a new Razer out he will have an amazing 5 star "review" for it as well. /face

Arrrrbol likes this.
  6. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's pop culture for you. RGB and things that look pretty is where it's at. There's no surprise factor when the MSI 16L13 turns out to be able to cool powerful hardware very well, because it's thick, and thus it's not an interesting review to more than proper enthusiasts. People would rather buy into the illusion of a no-compromise solution at a premium than be realistic. Got to sell the dream.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Well to be fair, he didnt recommend it. Aside from the thermal throttling which he was deemed "alright", I don't think his review was to bad. He did cover most of it, simply less detailed, same as 95% of the reviews out there.

This is the point where we are right now, getting garbage RGB thin laptops with hardware that it cannot cool, or thick garbage LGA clevos that again, cannot cool its hardware properly. There are only very few notebooks worth considering, such as the MSI GT 73/GT 75, Acer predator 17x or the Asus GL702ZC, there are also some notebooks in the light and thin apartment with GTX 1050 or GTX 1060 which are quite good as well, but anything with a thing and light form factor and a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 is a disaster.

This forum is no different when people try to defend those steaming LGA jokebooks. People completely disregard issues because they are bias towards it. You have the exact same issue with LTT, which I have with many clevo, razer and AW reviews on this forum. They only talk about the good sides but never mention the bad sides, which causes people to do poor decisions. Honest reviews these days are scarce and this is what we have to deal with. Only way we can protext outselves from doing terrible mistakes is simply doing research on our own.

8. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    When I read the title , I first thought you were talking about the Linux kernel guy ...

Convel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.