]]>

Linus comes clean about his Razer experience

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Eason, Nov 20, 2017.

1. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, pretty glad I did not go with a Razer, looking back on it now. It was only a matter of time before the other manufactures took notice and responded with competitively designed laptops.
    Now if I had found one for a really good deal, then yeah, I probably could not have resisted.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I feel like I got super lucky with my 2014 Blade. I had it for about 3 years, put it through hell and back with thousands of hours of gaming and it held up well. The only time I had to deal with their support was to ask for a USB drive for factory reset and they shipped it no questions asked. I got this EVOC in the spring last year and it's seen it's share of issues in the less than a year that I've had it. but it seems to be working well at the moment. I really like it when it's not misbehaving, true beast performance wise and the 4K panel is nice (I'm spoilt by all the hidpi panels i've owned since 2013 I'll never go back.)

I let the Blade collect dust and the battery expanded sometime while it was sitting idle. Had to rip the bottom panel apart to get it out and dispose of it because the pressure on the chassis was so great the small screws wouldn't turn. It was crazy, the keyboard and trackpad were all bowed out. Now I have a panel, mainboard and keyboard, three fans, and the power adapter for parts basically. I'll probably just end up recycling it, not really worth it to even waste time boxing it up and shipping it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'll take your blade parts for a project!

Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.
  4. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is a very sad thing to read primarily because throughout the years you were very supportive of Razer and appeared to be very supportive of them as a company and their products. And to hear that happening to even you is disappointing at least to me. Ming constantly compares his products to Apple Products (At least from a social media perspective) but appears that they still have a long way to go to get to the level of Apple in terms of Support and durability of their products as I have yet to have a Macbook have any issues close to what's happening here.

sk3tch likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I got this EVOC because 1080.. 6.5lb.. 4K fans are quieter than a Blade... let me reiterate 1080@6.5lb.. it's crazy fast for that weight class.

I definitely like the weight and keyboard from the Blade much more, but overall I was looking for something that wasn't 9-12lb that had a 1080 and the fans were "relatively" quiet for the power. There really isn't another laptop with this combo.. The only one that comes close that has quiet fans the the Zephyr with the 1070. It's nice that we're starting to see some quieter and lighter notebooks with upper-tier GPUs. It's too bad Razer isn't trying harder on those fronts.

There's nothing to be sad about. I had that Blade for three years and pushed it super hard and it kept rolling down the tracks. It was literally sitting in storage every day after I got the EVOC (April 2017). It's pretty hard on an aging battery to sit without being charged, but it wasn't up for it. Also Razer doesn't use a "battery saver" mode that will not charge the battery past 70-80% which can greatly increase the lifetime of the battery for those like me that keep their notebooks plugged in 100% of the time. "Storing" your battery at a high charge level for long periods is not good for the battery. It is what it is. I knew the battery had lost charge and was starting to fail, I should have removed it. Sucks, but thems the breaks.

But still.. the take away is I really pushed that thing hard for 3 solid years and it didn't falter. So far my EVOC hasn't been as reliable, but it's definitely faster. :)

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No no no no. This is exactly what Razer, Apple, and other fan based hardware groups love. People to blame themselves for their (in this case dangerous) faults.

I have had over 25 Laptops; a few sitting around for years with whatever charge was left on them. Battery expansion and bulging breaking machines is not *to be expected* as you summarized. This is 100% manufacturer's fault, no matter how much you liked the laptop.

EDIT: pbhenry3 describes the fault in detail here:

"yes I see it in every razer model. I have had a few show up in the mail here that were leaking electrolyte, a couple which have actually exploded and caught fire when removing the back cover which was only held on with a remaining 3 or so screws, some which have damaged the trackpad left/right click by expanding so far that the battery pulls on the cable so hard it rips the entire connector off the motherboard side along with every single pad. It is a daily occurence here.

razer uses 3 cells in series and 3 cells in parallel. the problem with the parallel configuration is that it needs to be assembled by a professional. since only in series cells have proper cell balancing, the in parallel configured cells can only be as good as the manufacture makes them to be. you need to use cells from the same lot number, same manufacture date, that have sat in the same conditions since manufacture to assembly, they night to have tight tolerance control, they need to be professionally measured with calibration equipment prior to assembly, because if any parameters are off a bit, the parallel configured cells will drift further apart with each charge cycle. A lot of manufactures use in parallel configured cells but they have better quality controll when assembling the packs. but even if you do have them perfectly matched, it is still never ideal from a longevity perspective. If you want longevity in cycle count for a battery pack, you need to just have them wired in series. Of course with many other proper aspects as well, such as charge current stages being accurate, good charge controller on motherboard side, and pcb protection circuitry in battery pack, and of course good cells themselves to begin with."

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/razer-blade-pro-2017-battery-bulge.812951/page-4

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 9:38 PM
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    None of them are immune, I've seen batteries expand and fail from all of them practically. It's an across the board problem.

And also, I blamed Razer for not allowing the use of a "battery saver" mode to keep the charge level lower. I could have really used that as I never unplugged it.