LinageOS questions.

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by kojack, May 23, 2021.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If I buy a pixel I will just install the 12 beta and be happy.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @kojack a lot depends whether you want to run it with Google services or without them. There are alternative playstore clients, e.g. Aurora Store, which I actually prefer even on devices with Google stuff, due to flexibility. You will also gain additional functionality, like better audio quality over Bluetooth, additional settings, and overall much more flexible and straightforward experience. However, if you want LineageOS, you should pick a phone that has good support for it.

You should also consider Xperia 10 II, which should receive SailfishX support soon (full-blown Linux with proprietary GUI and Android 9 emulation).

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Vasudev and Convel like this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    WOW, alot of different things at play. I will do some more research.

4. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're over on XDA, you read about how to install Lineage, everyone says everything works. Cool. You install it and all of a sudden something, we'll call it "X", doesn't work. Back to XDA, you ask about "X", then they say"X" doesn't work but everything else does, huh, ok. So you get a little deeper into it and realize you can no longer use proprietary software "X", you liked software "X" and want it back but you can't have it because software "X" is linked to the stock framework. You no longer have the stock framework. I can go on here but you get the idea; ROMs can be a pain in the butt. Also a lot of fun if your somebody like me but I'd be prepared for issues which may or may not impact your use.

kojack and Starlight5 like this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Excatly my views as well. This also boils down to 1. "shutting up windows", "speeding up windows", Running windows on mac hardware, and what not. I never have an issue with my windows installs. Everyone who crows about them being buggy etc are doing the aforementioned "shutting up of windows" etc imo. Run normal windows, your privacy is safe, I promise. you will magically not lose anythingthing by using windows in it's regular state. You will not lose your freedom by using android. The issues come when people start changing stuff. Jailbreaking iphones, rooting and roms on android, the shutting up of windows. Issues start then.

I asked about linage to get a more current OS on my old galaxy note. I won't be moving anything new to it. I am fine with google taking my annonymous data and using it to make money. I am not out anything, it does not hurt me in any ways, it does not cost me anything. WHO CARES. Now, if they started charging my credit cards unbeknown to me, then YES i would be pissed. However, that will not happen. The issue comes with third party apps, etc.