Lightweight hi-end pc (XPS/Tongfang/etc.)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Plokko, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plokko

Plokko Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi.
    I'm planning to upgrade my current machine, an XPS 15 9530 (i7,4k touchscreen, 256gb msata ssd+1tb hdd) with a new one.
    I'm a freelancer programmer and i work in mobility so i need a lightweight and durable pc to be able to carry it around, i also needs good performance because i have a lot of services running in background.

My specifications are:
    • good construction and durable chassis
    • i7-8750h or higher
    • max 2-2.5kg of weight,less is better
    • must have IT keyboard layout, better if sold in italy
    • nvme, more than one m.2 slot is welcome (so that i can add a main nvme drive and a secondary cheap m.2-sata drive)
    • good display (high rgb coverage)
    • good gpu, gtx 1050 or higher, not a gaming pc but good graphic performance are welcome

The model i found so far:
    • Gigabyte aero 15x (gtx 1070 max-q)
      one of the best notebooks, hight price (>2500€), impossible to find with it layout
    • MSI gs65 (gtx 1070 max-q/1060)
      cost almost like the gigabyte 15x, i found it even in local stores but the "wobbly" case feel really cheap, very hard to mantain but i can manage
    • Dell XPS 9570 (gtx 1050ti)
      good price, great built quality and batter, has "only"a 1050ti, only has one m.2 slot and 1tb ssd version aren't cheap
    • TongFang GK5CN6Z (gtx 1060)
      very affordable and customizable (sold as barebone), great monitor, but only has usb 3.0 and a weak battery.

Not listed: Razer blade (not sold with it keyboard layout)

Actually i'm evaluating the GK5CN6Z as a possibile choise (with 32gb ram and 512gb nvme it will cost roughtly 1500€) versus the xps 15:
    the GK5CN6Z has a huge price per performance ratio and i can customize as i see fit but i'm a little concerned about built quality and a chinese no-name brand does not feels in par with other brands.

Any contribute is appreciated, thanks!

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    It never ceases to amaze me how people who need business class notebooks always look at stupid gaming notebooks.

Check out these:
    Lenovo Thinkpad P52
    Dell Lattitude 5591
    HP ZBook 15v G5
    HP ZBook Studio x360 (2in1 notebook)
    MSI WE63

All these notebooks are perfect for your needs and will absolutely demolish any gaming laptop in terms of build quality. These are business class notebooks that feel very premium and are made to live very long. They don't have as much power on the GPU but that's nothing u'll need to worry about. They all have dedicated GPU's.

Spartan, Kent T and 9ac3 like this.
  3. 9ac3

9ac3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I reckon OP wants to play some games as well, although he's trying not to admit it lol. But yes, traditional workstations should be good enough for him. Maybe he wants to go for something cheaper but he didn't specify a budget.

@Plokko See here for discussion on TongFang GK5CN6Z: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/tongfang-gk5cn5z-and-tongfang-gk5cn6z.815943/page-5. The clicky mechanical keyboard may not be for everyone. Also, what is your budget?

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    it's worth noting that the cooling is extremely loud and the speakers are garbage, but speakers aren't important for most people.

9ac3 likes this.
  5. ahmad hendeh

ahmad hendeh Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    He should buy a GS65 then. Would reccomend the aero if the software and support weren't ****.

6. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be fair, there are a lot of people here who recommend gaming notebooks even to posters who describe professional-type needs (and then get into discussions about delidding, overclocking, and all that that most professional users shouldn't touch). So I'm not surprised that a lot of people come here, see recommendations like that, and look in those directions.

Kent T likes this.
  7. Plokko

Plokko Newbie

Reputations:
    I could close an eye on the software but the chassis is horrible: it's so wobbly that pressing on the palm rest is similar to pressing a touchpad and we're talking about a >2500€ notebook!

I already knew the notebook you mentioned, i would avoid 2-1 notebooks (and hps), i did consider p52 and latitude 5591 but they both have mediocre gpus and the p52 do cost a lot!
    For the same price the xps 15 has same quality with better specs.

You got me on the gaming part but just because nowdays i can have a good gpu for few extra bucks and without sacrificing mobility.
    I sold my desktop pc because i was never at home so if it's possible to add a good gpu without adding too much in weight and price it would be great!

My budget is between 1500-2200€ (hopefully with 32g and 1tb ssd), less is better but i'll be 10-14h/day on this machine so i need something good and that will last.

The clicky mechanical keyboard do not convice me because i prefer silent ones but i liked A LOT the fact that i can customize my pc as much as i want:
    with 144hz display, 32gb ram and a 500gb 970 evo it will cost roughtly 1600€, 1800 with an additional 1tb mx500!
    Another similar pc is the Clevo p955, same value per price but still a chinese no-brand company.

Do you have an opinion on this chinese no-brand pcs? Are they worth considering?

8. ahmad hendeh

ahmad hendeh Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They fixed most of the chassis issues after the review models. See Dave 2d top laptops for 2018 video.

9. Plokko

Plokko Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not talking about reviews, i tried it first-hand: very slick and professional look but the wobble was a lot worse than what i expected and for 2500€ pc that's not a minor thing.

10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Sorry but that's how it goes, the market today in thin and lights are sadly like this, they can't hold clockspeeds when you do something demanding, they have a rather mediocre keyboard, mediocre chasis etc. If you want something solid, you need to up the weightclass (depending on notebok this will still throttle, but chasis etc. will be better) or get a business class notebook with lesser specs, those are your options.

9ac3 and Kent T like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.