Lightweight 15" laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by thrombox, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thrombox

thrombox Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Larger screen than 15" while remaining relatively light ideally no more than 1.5kg.

I have a P645-SG and while the width of the screen is ok I find it a little to small height wise, I do love the 3:2 aspect ratio of the Surface book, I'd like a bigger screen effectively - lighter the better, Surface book is 13" however. That said Dell XPS 13 really takes my fancy.

1) What is your budget?

No budget but cheaper is better

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Biggest screen possible but as light as possible too. 1.5kg max would be nice.

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Anywhere, my last laptop I bought in the US and I'm in the UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

HP but I'd still buy one.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Possibly

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Some light gaming, doesn't need to be too powerful but more the merrier, I need a lot of battery life as I work and travel. GeForce preferred.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

It'll travel.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Mostly old games but some graphics heavy

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

5+ at least.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows only

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

Ideally larger than 15"
    Glossy
    I prefer smaller resolutions Tbh, 900p would be great at 15" but I'm aware that no longer exists in most cases.
    A screen that is taller preferred so higher ration.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Prefer glossy.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

I prefer good looks but my Acer P645-SG is quite alright as it's simple

15) When are you buying this laptop?

No time frame

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

No time frame

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

SSD at least or one I can upgrade, I replaced the original SSD drive on P645-SG from 265 to 512 for example, I don't want an additional drive.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I believe Samsung makes some 15" notebooks under 1.5kg, but you're looking at an Intel GPU and a sealed chassis, so that means no upgrades.

3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Indeed...the options for a 15.6" at 1.5kg is very limited...as far as I know the Samsing Notebook 9 and the LG gram 15. Neither of them is a very good option for the price unless only the light weight really matters.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. Hair_Tech

Hair_Tech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As far as i know LG Gram 15 is around 0.99 kg and it looks pretty good since it is using Kaby Lake processor with Intel HD 620. It is a nice choice as long as you do not mind on playing games. I guess there is no product which is called as great for this case since they need to cut everything in order to fit everything including the GPU. I personally cannot stand on using Intel HD GPU.

5. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    LG gram is indeed very light...but for the kabylake i7 model it costs around 1600 bucks. The i5 model, however, is much cheaper though with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    These are the lightest laptops on the market above 15 inch : search results.

And if you want with a video card: search results with dGPU Nvidia .

Hope this helps.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button. You can also click on the laptops for more information. (EU/US) stands for Europe/USA only model.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. thrombox

thrombox Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback guys I realise the problem with my P645-SG 14" is not so much the width of the laptop but the height of the screen (I could do with a narrower but taller screen). Ideally I'd like a 16:10 or 3:2 laptop (I do wish 16:9 ratio would just die already)

I'm willing to go up to 2kg or even more if it's really the right kit. Also I think I need an Nvidia GPU to be honest can't live without them.

At the moment the Surface Book is looking like a winner as I can take to presentations and meetings has the 3:2 screen and also a GPU.

HP Spectre and Yog also look very interesting will be reading up about these soon.

8. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Check out the Dell XPS 15 with the Gtx1050 or the coming soon Asus UX550 with GTX1050Ti
    or for more power the Gigabyte Aero 15 with GTX 1060.
    All better options than the surface book in terms price and performance unless you want the hybrid design.

9. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Also check out @Blacky 's site...it can help to select all the options you want.

Blacky likes this.
  10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    3:2 laptops are few and far between. You'll have more choices in the 14: segment, but it's your call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.