Lightest/smallest laptop with core i7?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Punchdrunk, Jun 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a long time, waiting for a truly lightweight laptop that can use the Razer Core (or something similair), to get my dream combination of portability for work, whilst being able to plug in powerful graphics to game at home. I don't want a seperate tower pc due to space considerations.

Ideally I'd like something like an ultrabook to carry around all day, but I don't want to compromise with a U series core processor. Are there any ultrabooks with a full core cpu? Ideally with a seperate GPU for some light gaming on the go, but I can forgo that if necessary.

It must have thunderbolt 3 support though, to connect the external graphics card.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? up to £1500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen this would be ok
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen this would be perfect
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen maybe, if it's light enough
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? maybe, if warranty is good

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? remote desktop, some VM, light gaming on the go, heavier gaming at home with external GFX

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? a variety, witcher3, diablo3, elite frontier

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? not too fussed, more interested in a light power adapter, than a big heavy battery.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? yes, but I don't think this is really possible.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.) Full HD, maybe UHD

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    not too fussed

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? not as much as specifications, I will take it to work though, so prefer no giant flashing logos

15) When are you buying this laptop? UK

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 3-4 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? definitely SSD, minimum 256gb, preferably more, but I can use an external usb3 hdd

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? what on earth for?

2. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    2 cores or 4 cores?

i7-6500U (dual core) / Razer Blade / lightweight

i7-6700HQ (quad core) /

By the way, the razer core loses ~20-40% performance vs the same GPU in a desktop in non CPU bound scenarios

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Punchdrunk

Reputations:
    4 cores, I don't want a U series. i7 6700hq preferably.

I already have a 970 gtx in my desktop that I can put in the core, but the cpu is old, I'd rather not buy a new motherboard, ram and cpu. I need a new laptop anyway, and I'd like to just have the one computer going forward.

4. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Downsides to UltraBooks however are, soldered RAM, often not upgradeable. And soldered battery. Also bear in mind storage options may be lesser. Be mindful of those issues.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    eGPU setups are most often selfmade builds besides Alienware and Razor. The Razor Core seems not really compatible with anything else other than Razor Blades! ;)

6. Punchdrunk

Reputations:
    Hmm, maybe I didn't phrase my initial question correctly.

I'm looking for a small,light laptop, that has a core i7 6700hq and at least 16gb of ram. It must have a thunderbolt 3 port.

I know the Razer Core was designed to work with the Razer Blade, but Razer have said they have not prevented it working with other laptops, and I already know that it works well with the Dell XPS 15. I could get the Dell, but I'd prefer something lighter.

Can anyone suggest suitable choices? So far I'm looking at the MSI GS40, the Dell XPS 15, the Razer Blade (but cant get this in the UK)...

7. penguinslider

penguinslider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The technology is still in its infancy I think....the Razor Core will only currently work with Razor Laptops.

Check this video, this guy actually tried plugging the Razor Core on other laptop brands and they did not work reliably.

Not saying that the Razor Core might not work in the future with other brands but the important thing to note is that now it doesn't and I have not seen any announcements from major manufactures that they are tweaking their systems to accommodate the Core.

8. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe the Alienware eGPU solution might work well within the DELL line of Notebooks. But then you have to be lucky to get this enclosure on the free market.

Although I don't like to recommend it, what's about the AW13 with eGPU Setup?

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=de&l=de&cs=dedhs1&sku=452-BBQS

9. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    ULV CPU kind of rules it out.
    There just aren't that many small laptops with quads.

10. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    http://www.ultrabookreview.com/10761-razer-core-review/

Weird how the 6700HQ laptop with 8 threads and faster ram barely keeps up with the 3570K with 4 threads and slower ram despite the games benefiting from hyperthreading.

Needs a GTX 980 + downclocked 6700K vs a 6700HQ + GTX 980 test

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.