Light Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by redmop, Oct 2, 2019.

1. redmop

redmop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After Alienware M15 r1 number 2 (bad screen on number 1, bent heat sing which disconnected the wireless on number 2), I'm looking again.

I'd love a full keyboard. I'd need a really good reason not to have one.

I'd like to keep the weight down. My m15 with brick is just under 7 lbs. I'd like to not be over 7 lbs.

I've been eyeing the Ge65 Raider and the GS75 Stealth. I didn't like the flex, so I went with the M15.

1) What is your budget? Around $2,000 USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: MSI, Maybe Alienware
    b. Dislike: HP, Lenovo, Maybe Alienware
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Maybe...

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    About equal gaming, productivity, VMs
    Carrying it A LOT. I take go where I am called, and I take public transportation/walk.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both. I travel around town a lot while working. I game at home and a couple friend's houses.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    CRPGs, FPS, 4x, Sims, ROMs, Strategy from 688i Hunter/Killer al the way to Overwatch/Dirt 3
    I tend to play the generation behind AAA titles.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Need? 4. Want? 6-8.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'd like to see one with the same keyboard locally, but I don't need to buy locally.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    I run Windows and Linux, and VMs of pretty much everything.
    It doesn't need to come with any particular OS, I have a retail Win10Pro and Ubuntu to install on it.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p 120 Hz+

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I prefer matte, but it is not a requirement. Touch is not preferred, but not a deal breaker.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really. Function and Weight over Form.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I have a 2 TB NVMe that will go in it, and I need 1 more drive (256+)

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within 30 days

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5 years (I have an old I7-2600k with a GTX 670 that I currently game with)

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I have a Surface Pro 3 that I still use, so being without it won't hurt too bad. Maybe a week or two.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I'd pay a reasonable amount for an extended warranty. I'd prefer onsite repair, or just send me the parts. I work on computers for a living.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  2. Le Quan

Le Quan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    take a look at the Elektronics Mag15, one of the lightest in its class at below 1.9kg, 94wh battery, rtx2070 and thermal seems promising

3. redmop

redmop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I see a lot of info about the Mag-15 having a lower temp cap than the competition. Too many compromises for not having a full keyboard. I'll pass on that one.

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The MSI GS65 Stealth offers a good combination of power, portability and battery life. The GE65 Raider can be a better performer in games since it doesn't use a Max-Q GPU like the Stealth, but I'd skip it since it doesn't offer nearly as good of battery life.

The Gigabyte Aero 15/15X is another option, although you'll need to research the battery life as it depends on the model you're getting. It has a bigger number pad than the MSIs, which use two-thirds-sized keys.

If you can do without a number pad, the Razer Blade 15 is within reach. It'll have better build quality than the MSIs.

Charles