Life with the 54 after a few months.

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toyo, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since real user info is not readily available too much on the 54's I figured I would give you guys my worthless opinion....

The biggest, most awesome part of this machine is the speed and display. The portability is much better for me compared to the CF-30 I am accustomed to as well. I just hope I don't miss the full ruggedness of the CF-30 one day.

The KB is still taking a little time to get used to. I loved and was so used to the chiclet style on the 30. The stroke is what's a little different. The back-lit is not as consistent as my 30's either. An example is the 4 top left keys are just about 50% dimmer than the others. Could be something I have Heartland take a look at one day.

The TS is 100% more sensitive and accurate in my opinion. I'm not sure what all is different or what they changed but it's a huge improvement. I find myself using it so much more.

The wireless is a little buggy at times. Sometimes coming out of sleep it takes way too long to connect, other times it is instantaneous. It has the Intel AC-7265. I uninstalled the Intel ProSet program as I have never been a big fan of it. That really caused some havoc. I was so frustrated with it that I did a clean re-install and now life is much better. The 4965 that is in my CF-30 MK2 is so rock solid and has been just about the best one I have used.

Very happy with the audio. Sound is very strong and clear for a laptop.

Battery life is bat shiiit awesome. I can go almost a full day depending on the applications until the 2nd battery kicks in. I usually keep the brightness level pretty high as I am getting older and my eyes pretty much suck now. The batteries charge very fast which is nice.

The touch pad is very easy to use. I have not had to change any of the settings from default and it's perfect.

The side doors are a sticking point for me. You gotta have some strong finger nails to grab the tab to open them. I understand why they made them a little hard to open but geez, my finger doesn't like it!

I started using the GPS this week for the 1st time. It detects and locks on almost instantly. It has the U-Blox which I have never used before. I purchased the Co-Pilot software/mapping program and am not too thrilled with it. Not very user friendly imo. Any suggestions on others would be much appreciated.

I have the port replicator on my desk and also installed a new Gamber/Johnson dock in my vehicle. I can't understand why Panasonic did not allow the audio to pass thru though. I don't like the fact I have to have one of the doors open to listen to plug in a external speaker or headphone when the unit is docked.

Can't really think of anything else to comment on. If you have any particular questions feel free to ask.

Shawn likes this.
  2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
  3. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    OK...that's it. I want a CF-54. :D
    One thing about the battery. Which battery is being used first. The main battery or the one where the DVD would go ?

4. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks Shawn. I'll give that driver a shot.

5. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The main battery goes first.

6. toughasnails

Reputations:
    I like that better. This is what I did not like on my CF-30 that the media battery was used first then the main battery. You really could not hot swap them.

7. kingstu

kingstu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You say the connectors with the second battery are not compatible with the DVD drive. Are they compatible with the PC Card attachment? Does yours have the secondary internal hard drive? Is it possible to add that as an upgrade or does it need a special connection as well?

8. toughasnails

Reputations:
    The second battery goes where the DVD would go.

9. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From my understanding you have to open the bottom case and unplug the battery caddy and remove it. Insert the DVD drive caddy and plug it in. It is NOT like the 30's as in simply sliding one out and the other in. Unfortunately.

Mine does not have the internal HDD. It is a pretty hefty option cost wise. It has to be soldered onto the MB as I understand it.

10. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Shawn, I installed the latest Intel driver for the network and so far it is much better. I like to keep the Panasonic drivers in place as much as I can but sometimes you gotta do it!
    Panasonic does not provide the step by step software/driver procedure like they used to do on the other models. The graphics driver on my 30 is tied into so much other stuff that if you installed a non-Panasonic driver you were screwed, you are fully aware of that I know....I am curious to know if the 54 is the same way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.