Librem 5

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Riley Martin, May 7, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah true, most people interested would rather look at custom roms likely, but thanks for shedding some light on it

Riley Martin likes this.
  2. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Me too TR! But since the Librem is actually coming to fruition/release, I'm pretty stoked to give it a shot.
    @starfish -Thanks for the Sailfish mention. I was unfamiliar w/ it. Looking at it now and some of its variants. RU based project? (I respect the h3ll out of the RU tech minds).

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @Riley Martin it's EU - developed by Finnish company Jolla, to be exact. There's supposed to be a RU fork called AuroraOS, without Android compatibility layer. Russian Rostelekom is a major shareholder, and in my personal opinion it is quite alarming rather than a good news, given that part of the OS is closed-source.

Convel and Riley Martin like this.
  4. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is alarming. I genuinely respect RU comp. minds, but yeah, the closed-source aspect w/ any RU ties is kinda off-putting. More reason to go for Librem5 :p

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    The OS itself isn’t all that special. All of the current, major mobile OSes are *nix at their core, just with different dressings. So having yet another *nix OS isn’t all that special, nor would it really excuse the poor value proposition given the hardware and the $650 price tag.

That said, most of the original complaints in the OP (peer pressure with keeping up on social media, etc) is a personal issue, not a technological issue, and isn’t something that can be solved simply with a phone purchase.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Starlight5 and Convel like this.