LG's S1 Review

Discussion in 'LG' started by speadball, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clearday

Clearday Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

LG S1-P1-M1 screens are not dark,actually bright and crisp screens but no so much brite,no dual lamps and no vivid colors like Sony's Xbrite, Toshiba Qosmio engine type Trubrite.

regards,
    Clearday

2. quisoc

quisoc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've heard that 1680x1060 screens (WSXGA) ara a bit darker than 1280x800 screens (WXGA)

3. jak3676

jak3676 Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    All right, I have to ask. Where/How can we find a P1/S1 in the US? Gotta be possible, but I'm not seeing it. Thanks all

4. ejl

ejl fudge

Reputations:
    lg is not sold in the u.s. danny from canadasys is planning to expand his business into the u.s. and will sell some lg models. however, it will not be for another few months.

5. kensuke

kensuke Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I read at

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/products1-2.aspx?modelid=2004058

That the soundcard in the S1 P3B3a is EAX1 and 2 compatible.. I loaded up Warcraft 3 and chose EAX sound and it said it couldn't load. Does anyone know how to get this going?

EDIT - I posted a little while ago about having trouble with the front and back speakers playing the same sounds. I ended up uninstalling the SRS program that came with the laptop, and now it works perfectly.. Go figure.. Did anyone else have this prob?

6. olasamuelson

olasamuelson Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!
    Some of you guys appear to have used your S1s for a while.
    Are you still happy with them?

I am considering buying one, we have them here but i am not really sure about LG.
    Feel free to comment/answer one or more of my questions/statments:
    a) What about LG as a notebook manufactuer are they really good enough?
    b) I saw that the dvd-drive contains macrovision circuitry. Not knowing alot about them i at least know they sell technology to prevent copying of media, lower quality of media sent out from video ports digitally etc.... Do you think this is this an issue something that limits the value of the media features? (its in the manual)
    c) Fingerprint readers with provided software can be anything from really bad to very good.
    Any experience from the LG implementation?
    d) The reviewer mentions "lack of a latch" as a potential problem. Is it?
    e) Is it really so sensitive to scratches so that it looks like s*it after a few and does it scratch _very_ easily?

And more generally on selecting notebook.....
    I think the S1 has what i need.
    I need:
    1. docking
    2. dc2500
    3. 1g Ram
    4. <3kilos
    5. Bluetooth
    6. WLAN
    7. dvd-burner
    8. Normally sized keys

From what i have read
    a) Stay away from Acer 8204
    b) Got money?: get a lenovo t60 2007
    lacks media features but has other pros, nicely built, a 7200rpm drive
    c) I can live without media features, built in: card readers, remote, tv tuner
    d) No good docking solutions for any asus model

I think S1 has it all - is it good enough?
    What do you guys think.
    Thanks.

7. MysticGolem

MysticGolem Asus MVP + NBR Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Well, i will put it one way, if everything fails, for example, the V1J and the W3J or any other ASUS laptop does not make enough of an impression on me, then i would personaly buy the S1, it is basicaly a good allround machine.

I just hope that lid doesn't get scratched up that badly.

your Q 1, yes the fact that LG is new to the notebook industry does make me question their integrity.

All LG Yonah ( Dual Core) laptops are Good, the older pentium-M models were ok...

I don't know the answer for the DVD Rom

Yes the fingerprint technology is hit and miss across all laptops, someone who owns one and uses it would tell you the answer.

The lack of the latch is an interesting choice of design, it make the notebook look cleaner, but depending how strong the magnetic lid is then it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this info does help.

Thanks,

MysticGolem

8. Mag07

Mag07 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I"ve had my S1 for over 2 months now and I can honestly say it is the best laptop I have ever used. I also own a Dell Inspiron 8600 and an Acer Ferrari 3400.

In reference to your questions:

a. Can't really help you with that one since I have never used an LG before.
    b. No issues with the DVD drive. I was not even aware of the Macrovision circuitry. It works great, it's quiet and I can't see any difference from my Dell or Acer drives.
    c. Finger print reader works flawlessly with the software provided. I don't really have the need to use it but just can't help playing with it:) It's good at work - keeps people away from your computer, and you do not need to remember any passwords.
    d. The lack of latch does not seem to be a problem either. The lid closes and holds very nicely. I guess only time will show if that is a good solution
    e. I would not say it's overly sensitive to scratches but it surely isn't a Thinkpad. After thorough examination I have noticed few minor scratches but you really need to look closely, with the right light, to notice them. That's after 2 months of heavy use.
    I suppose if you plan to handle it rough then it is not the most fortunate choice, however if you will take care of it you should be fine:)

Overall I do not regret buying it one bit, look wise and performance wise it's worth every penny you spend.

9. quisoc

quisoc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anybody tell me some e-shops where I can buy this notebook from spain?

10. rockym20

rockym20 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got a P1 and I really like the fingerprint reader. At first I thought it was a gimmic, but it is really quite functional. You can even encrypt files on you computer using it (in addition to the obvious use for passwords), which is a nice feature if you are sharing your laptop. My only gripe is that it doesn't work with Opera 9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.