LG Ultra PC 13Z940 (13.3" FHD 980g Haswell Notebook), and Tab-Book 2 11T740 & 11T540 (11.6" Win 8.1 tablet slider w/ keyboards)

Discussion in 'LG' started by matthias2468, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matthias2468

matthias2468 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    readers of this thread who like the notebook may want to contact their local LG representation in order to ask them
    - to bring the notebook to their country
    - to offer the color they prefer (I recommend the silver/black finish)
    - to offer a 8GB version
    - to check if it is still possible to build the laptop with an anti-reflective matte screen. It's not touch, after all.
    - you may contact LG via (often country specific) facebook, I believe twitter, or website.

(I did this for my country today.)

Really, I think this is a big thing and we will likely not see something comparable for another year (on the Windows platform). (Yes, i have taken Sony and Samsung into account.)

According to www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/lg-ultra-pc-review/ , the release date is set to mid-year, which would coincide with the New Macbook Air. An interesting thought, btw. I'll likely choose the Mac with bootcamp, or this.

2. matthias2468

Reputations:
    Note that the T540 is fanless, and the T740 is not. Since the former comes with an Atom processor, and the latter with Haswell, one could argue that the Z940 will likely have a fan, and the vents might be hidden at the joint. Strange still. Unfortunately, the T540 might only be available with just 2GB of RAM. Otherwise I would consider this an interesting fan-less option. On the other hand, it is said that an increasing number of 4200/4500/4600 U Haswell Ultrabooks are designed in a way they will stay completely silent on low load. Watch for SDP-mode enabled Haswell devices for maximum chance of silent operation under low load.

3. matthias2468

Reputations:
    see LG UltraPC (Model 13Z940) laptop Review - PC World Business - Notebooks, PCs & Printers - PC World Business and my edits in my first post: i7/8GB!

full spes at

http://open.lge.co.kr/link/it/2014/usp/pc/ultra/13z940/13z940_gh70k/13z940_gh70k.html

It's 303 x 214 mm, which means it's smaller both in width and depth, than the ATIV Book 9, which already was very small for a 13.3". The LG is almost as small as the Dell XPS 11, despite being 13,3".
    It also comes with a quiet mode.
    It's available at ebay already (!).
    Strangely, it comes with windows 8, not 8.1.
    I have not yet found an Australian/English, or i7 silver version, please post if you found one.
    Korean voltage and sockets seems to be compatible with the German system without adapters, but' I'm not 100% sure, just 99%. It's not identical, but perhaps compatible.... comments welcome.
    I once had a Japanese Vaio x505, it worked fine with the extra keys and looked cool. However I'm unsure if I can install an English or German Windows 8.1 Pro on there, and and if drivers will be OK. Problem also being that the control software will be Korean.
    I wonder which English or German speaking country will get the first batch, and if a silver i7/8GB will be among them. In any case I'm sold on this one. Nice!

4. matthias2468

Reputations:
    I don't quite understand what is the difference between 13zd940 and 13z940, also some are called xnote, not ultra pc. perhaps no differences.
    I found that gx70k is a string associated with the i7/8GB version, and as I feared, only the 4GB/i5/128GB /i3 version seems to be available in multiple colors, also in mint BTW. So silver with black keys (like the macbook air) is only available with 4GB RAM, in Korea.
    (I also found that one can probably change the language of windows 8 Korean to English with a few clicks.)
    I wouldn't hold my breath that we will ever see a silver 8GB, anywhere in the world. :/

5. henryd

henryd Newbie

Reputations:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.