LG P1 store hands-on preview

Discussion in 'LG' started by Rasterian, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WuHT

WuHT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The harddrive is located under the right wrist right ... ? (hence the heat)

mmm a quiet/cool laptop with lots of powr + looks and size ....
    why arn't these selling more!??!

2. Clearday

Clearday Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Yeah you right. I think this grey hard plastic p1 chasis looks among Apple MacbookPros and conventional nbooks. Stylish, sleek, thin-light and still powerful, quite fans and bright,sharp,colorful screen. I must accept it is really good and establised a balance among security-general purpose-gamer-business...

regards,
    CDTRF

3. aflat

aflat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have been checking these forums for months trying to figure the best laptop to buy. I had originally decided on a 17” and checked out reviews and forums for, Sager 5720, Acer 9504, Asus Z83, Fujitsu 6210, and LG LW70.

I had seen in person the LG LW70 and the Acer 9504 didn’t like the Acer and had heard some negatives about the LG although I really liked the screen. I ruled out the Sager due to hassles being north of the border, cost and forum comments and reviews. Fujitsu was losing my interest because of weight and I still haven’t seen one. The Asus seemed like the best choice until I saw one. The screen was really nice but the machine was huge and had no integrated numpad which is a waste because there is plenty of room for it. Having seen most of my choices I had to decide, I did, they are all too big so decided to look at 15.4” models.

Looked at the same makers for 15.4” and came up with the LG P1 as my favorite choice, read decent reviews and have always liked the screens on the LG’s so I bought one. Rather than disappear from the forums as most do when they buy their machine I thought I would at least give my opinions of the P1.

Overall look and feel: Very clean lines, not as sleek or sexy as some Asus or Mac models but good looking. It’s a little plastic feeling where your hands rest while typing. Great size and weight compromise, you can carry it around but it’s big enough to be functional with apps open etc. Keyboard is comfortable and numpad is nice to have. Good location of I/O ports, fan exhaust and DV/CD player. The only one that’s questionable is the VGA port on the left side, it would be better on the back and could have been DVI. While I’m looking there is no parallel port, finally someone gets rid of that useless thing!

Screen: 1200 / 800 native resolution is clear and sharp, with vivid colors. It’s a shiny surface so it’s reflective and you have to be in the viewing angle “sweet spot” for a perfect view. Off axis it’s OK too but right in the sweet spot it’s perfect. I can see a little light leakage at the bottom. There is slight darkening imperfection in the lower corners about 1/8th of an inch square. It’s like the screen is stretched too tight or something. Screen is good but I swear the old matte screens have way better viewing angles though the sharpness can’t match this. I’m being picky as usual with a new screen, it’s really quite sweet.

Setup: At first I booted up and kept all the factory stuff without wiping and reformatting the drive. It did work fine but had lots of stuff I didn’t want so I wiped it, partitioned and formatted and reinstalled XP. All worked fine, the LG driver / program disk is pretty well thought out but you have to be careful to use the disk in manual mode to install just the drivers/programs you want and then disable the LG intelligent update which will keep wanting to install the stuff you don’t want. Easy enough I guess. Synaptics driver and program was a pain and I finally went to their site to download then reinstall which worked fine. I still can’t get the fingerprint reader to work for me. I suspect it’ll be like the touch pad and I’ll have to go to the makers site and reinstall.

Performance: It’s fast! Even with a slow 5400 drive it feels faster than my P4 dual desktop, except for large file transfers where the desktop 7200 drives are clearly faster. I’m not a gamer so I suppose the video card is a bit of a waste for me but it does drive this screen and my Samsung 204T just fine. The P1 makes virtually no noise and is not hot. The left side hand rest gets a little warm.

Battery: Battery life looks to be about 3.5 hours.

Sound: Typically average for a laptop. The SRS adds some depth and quality but still at fairly low volume. Headphones seem fine with decent level and reasonable EQ choices. I don’t like the SRS program interface itself very much.

Wireless: Works fine, the Gigabit hard wire also works fine. Haven’t tried the Bluetooth but I will.

Slim documentation. 3 Year warranty

All in all I think it will be a great laptop. It’s a pretty perfect balance of size and features. If this lasts as long as my old Clevo P3 that I bought 5 years ago which still runs fine, I will be very happy.

Cheers, aflat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.