LG P1 store hands-on preview

Discussion in 'LG' started by Rasterian, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WuHT

WuHT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Feel free to make a quick review of the machine darkdevil!

2. bran

bran Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you plan to update HD to 100GB/7200rpm?

3. 1000100001

1000100001 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Any pics? C’mon guys chop chop

4. Omecle

Omecle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it even possible to update the HD to 2.5"? I thought it had a 1.8" slot, but maybe I'm thinking of the T1?

5. rockym20

rockym20 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, I re-read my warranty card and the Canadian warranty is NOT international. Sorry for the confusion.

6. bran

bran Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In Canada LG P1 is only WXGA. One more no-go for me ...
    In Canada any laptop either

-has subpar screen
    and/or
    -subpar HD RPM
    and/or
    -subpar GPU
    and/or
    -lack of DVI

7. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Newbie

Reputations:
    I like to now yours opinions about this LG P1 with:

Intel® Core™ Duo Processor 1.66GHz(T2300) 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2
    1024DDR2(667MHz)
    X1400
    100GB 5400rpm
    DVD Super Multi Dual Layer (DVD-R/RW, +R/RW, RAM)
    Intel® Pro/Wirless 3945ABG(802.11a/b/g)
    XP Home

Thanks.

8. FunK A DunK

FunK A DunK Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe you're thinking about the T1. No way you could upgrade that. But, what more can you ask of a 14 inch laptop that's less than an inch thick.

9. Jdpraise

Jdpraise Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the LG P1, and here are my thoughts.

1. The feel is plasticky, it feels better than the Acers I've come in contact with (and owned) - Similar to the Sony's with the reinforced carbon plastic. Hard, very slight flexibility.

2. I have no issues with the external casing, no loose or misaligned joints and no pressure flexing at the speaker ports nor at the express card slot. Slight rippling on the screen when a fair amount of pressure is applied to the lid.

3. The screen while only 1200*800 is perfect, very bright, no flaws or ghosting. Offers a clarity better than similar Acer, Asus and HP screens.

4. Keypad, somewhat compressed keypad to allow for the addition of the number pad takes some getting used to. The keys themselves offer little complaint. Samsung keyboards are better, but this is above par as far as I've seen.

5. My 3d mark 05 scores without overclocking and without a clean bloat free install came in at just under 3900, 3876 I believe - I'll edit when I get a clean install.

6. In terms of cooling the P1 runs cooler than both a Toshiba with a 6600 go and an acer with a x1400, I can confirm that I do indeed hear a fan running (only after running intense games for an extended period/2-3 hrs) and then it is barely audible.

7. The included laptop speaker sound is slightly tinny with little to no base (as is to be expected) but when run through a 5.1 system (or headphones for that matter) the SRS feature is pretty nifty, impressive actually.

8. Oblivion auto configures to high settings on this machine, I've adjusted the settings only to default to HDR lighting (and screen resolution to 1200*800 of course) and thus far have experienced a highly enjoyable game with little to no problems. (hovering at an average +/- 30 FPS)

9. I use this machine primarily to encode video while I am travelling and have had zero to no problems with any of the encoders/transcoders I am using. In fact its very fast. (I'll edit in some times when I have time to compare).

Just my impressions/opinions

for reference:
    I also own a Toshiba M40 -(PSM40C) w/6600 go (My older one)
    in addition to an Acer Aspire 5672WLMI w/x1400 (Wifes)
    as well as this P1. (and a x2-3800 desktop)

10. Clearday

Clearday Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There was an IT and Computer Exhebition in Istanbul,Turkey yesterday (14.05.06) and I have seen LG has achieved something with their latest notebook series. Sorry for pics quality,I have used a Nokia 7710 mobile phone.

This is LG P1 (1,83 dual core T2400,1GB DDR667 MHZ,Ati 1400,80 GB 5400 rpm,Bluetooth,Finger Print(also sound,volume,stop and play finger print),Super Multi DVD +-, SRS Sound (24bit),15,4" finebright screen (superb), probably hard plastic and sexy looking case)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Clearday-TRForce/lgp1.jpg
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Clearday-TRForce/lgp1kboard.jpg
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Clearday-TRForce/lgfull.jpg
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Clearday-TRForce/lgp13.jpg
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Clearday-TRForce/lgp12.jpg
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Clearday-TRForce/lgstant.jpg

My LG P1 Points;

Screen 8/10 - sharp,crisp,good viewing angles and brightness. I dont give much attention,importance to WXGA or WSXGA screens. But what I see in this notebook,its screen quality,bright is better than HP Pavillion' DV5000+DV8000 series, Toshiba's Trubrite screens, Acer's Crystal Brite screens, it looks like in same category like Sony's,Qosmio's,Packard Bells...LG's new notebook screens achieved something that are very different than former LG LW-LS series.

Chasis Build Quality 7/10 - over average quality, and feels like hard plastic, looking very elegant and professional
    Keyboard Quality 8/10 - Numped, very good keys
    Performance for Price Value 8/10 -
    Heat 9/10 - very very cool
    Noise 9/10 - no noise...I very much tried to hear something...But nothing.
    Batterylife 9/10 - 3:40 hours...Great
    Overall Appeal 8/10 - I really respect LG after seeing that notebook. It will be very clever and good bargain to buy a new LG P1 or Piano black red dot awarded S1 series notebook.

regards,
    CDTRF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.