LG Gram 2021 announced: 14, 16 and 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by RS4, Dec 16, 2020.

1. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    292MB is reserved for the IGPU I think.

2. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That must vary depending on type of program used i guess.

Any answers for this keyboard question?: There is another Page Down button in the Number Pad shared with the number 3 key, can we set it up such that it works as Page Down button as default? Maybe something can be done via LG control centre or we have to install some software like SharpKeys?

3. CountingCrows

CountingCrows Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OP quoted the model number as: 17Z90P-K.ADC9U1

Both on LG website and Costco.

4. CountingCrows

Reputations:
    Thanks for this great info slavisv!

It is LPDDR4X ram, so it is soldered (not 2020 model). Both Costco and LG site mention 32GB! But on one of the questions LG mentions this:

Ops, that comment was apparently posted in relation to:
    Originally posted on 17Z90P-K.AAB8U1, which is a different model!

So this is 32GB! Black available somewhere?

5. CountingCrows

Reputations:
    Great find. I was waiting for 32GB version.

6. extremecarver

Reputations:
    but you cannot order the 32GB version anymore I think. Technically it's no problem for LG to solder 32GB Ram - but I guess this was a Costco special. However all 2021 have TB4 (note while they mention TB3 on the lg site, the always have a check at TB4 yes).

A rather recent problem - maybe unique to the black version. The paint around the edges tends to break under use - so I had to sandpaper it down because it became sharp and hurting. In general LG should have invested 1m in order to bevel of the front edge (same bevel everywhere like at the point to lift the lid. Macbooks are horrible in the regard too however. Sometimes thinking about trying to find a thin tape to tape off all the front edge - but not sure what would stick well.

7. extremecarver

Reputations:
    BTW - with the newest Throttlestop 9.4.2 beta (not 9.4) you can finally get rid of the 25W PL1 32 seconds limit!
    You can set PL1/PL2 MSR limits to the desired values on the TPL windows - then check "Sync MMIO" box and apply. Boom that 25W limit is gone.

Happy benchmarking - it's now 100% your cooling solution and nothing else that will determine the power of your Gram. Well so most importantly the temperature - above 25-2 degrees ambient temperature - on my 16Z90P the improvements are marginal. At 15 degrees you can expect 10% higher benchmarks!

My values were: 25 PL1, 60PL2 and 32 seconds. I've changed it to 34w PL1, 38W PL2 and 15 seconds. So after 15 seconds it drops from 38 to 34W - there is no sense at all in a higher than 38W PL2, because the cooling cannot handle it. 20 seconds at 38W is a good compromise. That togeter with Prochoot at 97° instead of 90° gives you a plenty fast gram.

I do wonder if really someone has less than 25W in PL1 MMIO values - the benchmarks and remarks posted make me assume so.
    As I'm right now in Cyprus with hot temps - no way to properly benchmark this thing. Holding it into aircon air flow makes it clear however that the limit is gone for good.

8. extremecarver

Reputations:
    292 MB is the minimum. Converting some videos with Handbrake I saw IGPU shoot up to 10GB. Yeah HEVC video editing makes me really want to have 32GB RAM. 16GB is not enough for 4K HEVC video editing with Davinci Resolve (at least with the free version that is not using hardware acceleration - gotta buy premium for that). Actually before I put a 10GB swapfile Davinci Resolve would love to BSOD my gram.
    Since years actually, video editing/video playback is the prime factor to upgrade computers (as I don't game).

9. extremecarver

Reputations:
    So here is the absolute limit of the lg gram at 16° aircon outflow temperature without performance mode it drops to around 28.5w - with performance mode it stabilizes at around 32.5-33w.
    no_25w_limit.PNG

As the tiger lake is not that efficient at higher wattage - the differnce is only 100 points by enabling performance mode. The bottleneck are the heatpipes - not the cooler. A second heatpipe likely would yield another 100 points or so. Actually I think I will set PL2 duration to 2 seconds at 38w, and PL1 at 34w - so that it doesn't heat up soo much.

I guess the 17Z90P i5 could score a tiny bit higher - due to more volume - but then it has identical heatpipe so I guess no way. At 25° room temp with performance mode it goes to 1900 points. In winter at 0° outside I'm sure 2400 points are in easy reach with the MMIO limit disabled. 25 degrees are about the sweet spot for 25w cooling. but at 20° room temp removing the 25w limit has significant difference on my gram as I know (yes repasted with Arctic MX5).

I'm not fully sure about this anymore - but maybe you still need to increase PL1/PL2 in the hidden/advanced bios settings. (press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F7 inside bios )

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  10. extremecarver

Reputations:
    You can actually unlock overclock in the bios - but as the CPU is locked - there is no way to actually overclock.
    overclock_possible.PNG

However the new Sync MMIO option you can use to set any values now - If in bios the PL1/PL2 is set to disable, then you can set any value for PL1 and PL2 using throttlestop. Else it will depend on the nominal/up/down set in bios.
    Also I found out how to set fan in bios. The problem is that there are only three steps - off, state1 and state2 - and the activation temperature is fixed in 7°C steps. You can set fan to any speed 0-100% for state1 and state2 (and somewhere there is really hidden a way to have fan always on).

Here is how Turbo Power Limits window in Throttlestop should look like - to give you full power (note the performance mode now does not matter at all - it only decides your fan speed).
    full_power.PNG

You can unlock or lock the PL1/PL2/PL3 and PL4 value in bios. However PL3 and PL4 is not adjustable within throttlestop. Not even sure what PL3 does - PL4 is default to 105watts - thats for a couple of miliseconds. If you replace the cooling in the lg gram for something more performant with more heatpipes - now you could get the max possible turbo of your CPU (1135G7 would be 4200 two cores, 3800MHZ all core turbo with no time limit, 4700/4200 - however especially for the i7 you will need really good cooling - but then the caveat still is - if you really need that power tiger lake H series is your solution. It can be undervolted and will run more efficient except for idle where it needs likely around 0.2-0.3 watts more. Seems most H series tiger lake can underolt by 70-80mv - that's a lot and decreases power consumption by around 15-20% for the same output. The i7 U series has no reason for existence. It needs more power than i5 U, and is only slightly faster in single core tasks, multi core only if you have over 45W of cooling capacity - but then you should bet an H series processor in first place which is 80-90% faster on multicore and maybe 10% on single core vs I7 U series. And at loads the i7 U needs 35watts due to high frequency the i7 H can likely get away with 22-23w due to twice the cores, and lower frequency plus undervolting. Without undervolting maybe 27-28w)

Important settings in bios to enable Throttelstop to fully work, you need to set TDP Boot Mode to Deactivate, and TDP Lock to disable - the Nominal TDP is then your boot values before Throttlestop takes over (Throttelstop is still needed as you cannot adjust MMIO values in bios):
    IMG_20210924_234318.jpg

Attached Files: