LG Gram 2021 announced: 14, 16 and 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by RS4, Dec 16, 2020.

1. skipper63

skipper63 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck reviewed the LG Gram 16. Pretty objective review, more or less I agree with all their findings.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Gr...lent-battery-life-16-10-display.543262.0.html

Just to note, that although it is not a power workhorse, compared to other Tigerlake laptops it is situated around the middle of the bunch, it has more than enough power and beats by far the previous generations of 4 core laptops. It gets hotter than my older Gram under load, not pleasant to have it on the lap during processor intensive tasks, but manages to be very quiet most of the time and I appreciate the extra power in my daily workflow.

As I am writing this I am at the terrace at a house at a Greek Island (on holidays). I had the sun above the laptop, so no reflections on the screen (if you are on battery you have to deactivate the battery saver to get full brightness). After a while I had to get back in the shadow, because the black color was absorbing so much heat, that everything was burning on the keyboard. Just to say that I think the idea of working under the sun is overrated. You need always some shadow to be productive with a laptop and under the shadow, even the annoying glossy monitor of the Gram will do the job pretty well in full brightness.

And a last comment about the trackpad.

Yes it is very slightly off center when I compare it to the notch, so a bit more centered relative to the space bar and probably done for those that don't like that with the numpad the trackpad used to be off center. But with the size of the recent trackpads, I find this centering argument irrelevant, they are so easy to access and the palm rejection on my Gram is perfect.

2. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. skipper63

Reputations:
    I also wish they did. I just got back indoors after working a bit outside and fighting with the reflections. But as I already wrote, working under the sun is overrated, the laptop (and my head..) got again too hot from the sun rays and I could not handle to stay any longer outside.

I think LG has their specification sheet, get the minimum brightness acceptable and avoid the risk of scoring worse battery times with a brighter panel. As they improve slightly every generation, I guess in two years the next Gram will be even better.

4. extremecarver

Reputations:
    Semi glossy like the yoga would be perfect. Have this on my big screen and clarity is nearly the same, but reflections cut a lot. MacBook gets this right too.
    Outdoors even in shadow or overcast the gram is not usable well.
    I wonder if there are any quality screen protectors getting semi glossy right. I doubt it.

Anyone know about glasses cutting reflection, but not ****ing up colour or brightness that would do? So no damn blue light filter

5. slavisv

slavisv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's actually 17 inch 32 GB version too for sale at Costco: LG gram 17" Intel Evo Platform Laptop - 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 - 2560 x 1600 Display | Costco

What's interesting is that it isn't mentioned anywhere in reviews. You can't find it directly in LG catalog, but if you search by model (17Z90P-K.ADC9U1) you can find it: LG gram 17” Ultra-Lightweight and Slim Laptop with Intel® Evo 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 Processor and Iris® Xe Graphics (17Z90P-K.ADC9U1) | LG USA

Also, this is silver version TB4, same as 17 inch black version. 17 inch 16 GB ram silver model has TB3.

p.s. I've seen it only at Costco, nowhere else.

CountingCrows likes this.
  6. extremecarver

Reputations:
    This must be 17z95n not 17z90p - If it's tb3. If it's tb4 they actually introduced a new config

7. Ball

Ball Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What a pity hackintosh is now dead due to M1. This would have been a decent replacement for my dying MacBook 17.

8. skipper63

Reputations:
  9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Agree, there's no way I'm going back to 16:9 on my laptops.

10. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question for Gram 16 owners: There is another Page Down button in the Number Pad shared with the number 3 key, can we set it up such that it works as Page Down button as default? Maybe something can be done via LG control centre or we have to install some software like SharpKeys?

Also what is the amount of RAM reserved for igpu? Seen some OEM's have this at 512 MB and some at 1-2 GB RAM.