LG Gram 2021 announced: 14, 16 and 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by RS4, Dec 16, 2020.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm sure you can, if it's the OS drive you might have some driver and proprietary software weirdness at first at best and crashes at worst. Definitely make a backup first with macrium reflect or similar. If it's just a data drive you can do it no problem.

2. Steerpike58

Steerpike58 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm reading my way through this thread from the beginning, as I'm researching the LG Gram for my next purchase. I currently have a Samsung ATIV book 9 (2014); can't believe it's lasted me this long! It's a rock-star. I too am ultra noise-sensitive, and with my Samsung, I discovered that I could set the CPU cap at 70% in advanced power settings! For everyday use, this was never an issue but it was enough to stop the fans coming on all the time (I don't mind a fan kicking in when I ask it to do something serious, but I hate it when the fans come and go during 'idle' activity. When I know I'm going to be doing serious work, I just go into advanced power settings and up the cap to 100% for the duration.

Only reason I'm looking at the gram is, my current guy has only 8 gig RAM and this is starting to be an issue. I'm also attracted by 17" as my eyesight deteriorates, and the thought of USB-C charging and docking just seems too good to pass up!

3. Steerpike58

Reputations:
    (again, working my way through all the reviews, trying not to reply to too many posts but every now and then someone says something I can't wait to follow up on ...).

I absolutely don't need or want the numeric keypad; but the biggest reason to not want it from my perspective is - how much trouble does the trackpad cause when typing? At least LG did center the trackpad to the main keyboard (or at least, did NOT center the trackpad on the frame) - many laptops with numeric keypads stupidly center the trackpad across the entire device, which means obvious trouble from wrist hits. Also, when using 'on your lap', is it ergonomically OK to be typing 'off to the left'? Do you offset the laptop to the right to compensate/to allow your hands to be symmetrical with your body?

4. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have two nvme V3 installed and both are full speed. Not sure if the old m2 are compatible. Also not sure if nvme v4 runs full speed.

BTW - some more reviews - kinda nothing new:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/lg-gram-16-review-the-perfect-middle-ground-for-mobility/

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Gr...lent-battery-life-16-10-display.543262.0.html

https://www.neowin.net/news/lg-gram...thing-you-could-want-in-a-super-light-laptop/

I really do wonder why some units (the notebookcheck lg gram 16) have worse display brightness on battery or depending on windows power profile, and others not. Is it based on bios - or on botched up windows settings? I definitely feel installing windows from scratch is a must on the gram.

Also seems like contrast ratio now is around 1500:1 across the board for newly produced lg grams. Then notebookcheck lg gram 16 had horrible brightness at 310 nits. (around 270 on battery). So either it is the touch version that due to the touch layer decreases contrast - or new revisions all have very good contrast.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  5. extremecarver

Reputations:
    No they did not - it is centered to the case - so if you think about what to type - then often you may hit the trackpad with your right hand. This will be even worse on the 17". It is one of the biggest drawbacks to the gram 16/17. Also due to the numpad the delete button, enter and back buttons are crippled small. I hate that for writing text / coding. Slowly got used to it but it is still a huge PITA. Also they did not make the arrow buttons larger by sticking out tot the bottom (saving money here clearly). The main keyboard is exactly the same on the 14,16 and 17". It is only off center for 16 and 17 with different added numpads.

typing on your lap is okay. no more problematic than if the laptop is standing on a desk.

6. extremecarver

Reputations:
    I just got a bios update offered or better imposed through LG update center. As I am afraid of dimmer display on battery with maybe newer bios versions and it was not offered but said if I click okay - will be installed right now with instant reboot. If I click no it will be installed on next reboot - I took the logical step of straight uninstalling lg update center. Would be nice to hear what the new bios brings. Especially in regard to PL1/PL2 and display brightness. I fear it can only get worse based on newer reviews

7. extremecarver

Reputations:
    well - uninstalling lg update center did not help. Just rebooted and the bios update to 0320 went through (dated 23.04.2021). Must have been in some place that I did not notice. However concerning screen brightness, or PL1/PL2 limits I think it made no change. However PL1 is hard to test right now with 28° temperature.

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's more about when I'm centering myself in front of the display that i'm not off to the side a tad on the keyboard. You can do that with a desktop, just move the keyboard. It's not like you don't eventually get used to it if you are using it every day, but I switch between 3 different PCs and it's funny sometimes for the first few minutes I'm always slightly off.

9. Steerpike58

Reputations:
    Looking at the picture of the LG Gram 17 on the LG website - https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-17Z990-RAAS8U1-ultra-slim-laptop# it looks to me like the "Lid raising notch" - the small 'cutout' just in front of the trackpad designed to allow you to lift the lid - is off-center slightly relative to the trackpad. Assuming the cutout is itself centered (I cannot imagine it would not be) then that would suggest the trackpad is ever-so-slightly offset to the left. It's not fully 'centered' on the main keyboard (aligned with the spacebar) but it does appear to be just a bit off-center. Anyway - it drives you crazy! That's bad news. I'm a fast touch-typist and never look at the keyboard, but my wrists do often hit the trackpad. I'm just going to have to see how bad this is on a test run.

Given that you can buy this laptop in multiple language flavors (UK keyboard, US keyboard, Korean keyboard, etc) that would suggest the keyboard is at least somewhat removable. Some enterprising person should come up with a keypad-less keyboard that we could swap into the keyboard opening!

My other big concern is the reflectivity of the screen. I'll just have to check it out at my local Costco and see how bad it is. If you ever have any success applying a semi-gloss overlay, I'd be curious to see how that comes out.

Other than that, it looks like a perfect and long-overdue upgrade to my Samsung ATIV Book 9 (2014).

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Unfortunately a replacement isn't really possible, the keys are island style with cutouts for them in the top chassis. It's not one large contiguous cutout. I'm not sure how we would source a different keyboard for it. For me it's not that bit a deal. I don't look at the keyboard either, but switching back and forth between centered keyboards and keyboards slightly shifted to the left takes me a second to orient.