LG Gram 2021 announced: 14, 16 and 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by RS4, Dec 16, 2020.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They removed the silk screening from the empty (in some models, some came with 512GBx2 installed from the factory) 2nd slot in 2020, which leads me to believe it supports both SATA and NVMe up to 4x, I think if it was still specific they would have left it on there. I can without question say the 2019 model tops out at 2x on the secondary slot. I can't find any proof that the 2nd slot is 4x on the 2020 model in any reviews I just scanned both written and youtube, but I bet the super long Gram thread here someone that has it probably commented on it.

2. MartinPC

MartinPC Newbie

Reputations:
    If the super-long thread you're referring to is for the Gram 17, I'm pretty sure it was for the 2019 model (and 62 pages long!). However, I did find a much shorter thread for the 2020 model where someone had installed a Samsung 970 EVO in the second slot. I asked whether he'd be kind enough to run a quick HWInfo64 diagnostic and report back on the results for the second slot. If I hear back from him, I'll report back here!

hfm likes this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I guess at any rate if you need the storage even if it's only 2x it's good enough. I just use it to install my games and I can move it to a new laptop and it'll work at 4x at that point

4. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hfm likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That definitely is the best Gram design so far. I'm really looking to move up to a 6/8 core unit for my next. If I end up holding out till 2022 I'll see what LG does next and if they manage to get a better CPU into it while retaining TB. If not I'll be moving to something with a 35/45W CPU with 6 or 8 cores. The pickings are really slim the only thing that kind of fits is the XPS 17, and I'd be wasting money on a 1650Ti that I would be disabling.

6. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So you are skipping the 2021 Gram? The problem with XPS series is so many QC issues with every generation and the battery Dell uses is also cheap which goes bad and swells within 2 years when compared to Gram which uses LG Chem batteries.

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't really see it enough of an upgrade from my 2 year old Gram. Still 4 cores. Still 15W. The display is already great in mine when calibrated. I'm not a content creator so I don't need the incremental color accuracy.

Granted the CPU is more Intel's fault than LG. If they went AMD I wouldn't be interested due to lack of thunderbolt.

I'm in a catch 22 really. 11th gen has more efficient thunderbolt due to being on-die but the cpu is still 15W 4-core and not that much faster especially for thread starved games. I wish LG would stop reusing the thermal solution up and down the product line and do what razer does in the blade stealth/book and use all that extra room in the 17 for a 28W config. I'd maybe consider it.

8. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, does not make sense wasting money when your laptop can last another couple of years easily. Another thing i noticed is that the 2021 Gram silver colour is more light silver rather than grey silver of earlier models. Just compare the photos:

https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-16z90p-k.aas8u1-ultra-slim-laptop

https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-15z90n-u.ars5u1-ultra-slim-laptop

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The black one looks nice, though I don't really care much what color they are as long as it looks ok.

10. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    2021 Gram 16 review, enable auto translate-english subtitles.

1. Says cooling is better and compares temperatures at different areas of the laptop between 2020 and 2021 LG Gram.

2. Screen quality is excellent: 99.9% sRGB, 99.38% DCI-P3, 93% Adobe RGB.

3. Speakers are much better

4. Keyboard is better with more key travel and larger size keys, 55 % larger touchpad.

hfm likes this.