LG Gram 2021 announced: 14, 16 and 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by RS4, Dec 16, 2020.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Probably the best solution would just be to buy an X-Rite or Datacolor colorimeter and calibrate it.

2. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can some people post their idle cpu power package use?
    After the newest windows cumulative update I don't get black screen with panel self refresh enabled anymore, but package power at idle is at 1-2w. Just moving the mouse and it goes up to 3w.

Before it would be 0.5w with panel self refresh enabled, which was impossible for me due to screen flashes.

Did the update just enable something to detect broken hardware or does everyone have so high idle power???

I now need around 9 percent battery for 1 hour of surfing in edge with screen at 80percent brightness. Or 7 percent with minimum brightness. That's way too much Imho. Video playback uses lot less power..

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  3. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/lg-gram-16-2021

According to this Gram 16 review, contrast ratio is 1415:1 and 333 nits brightness. So, these massive variations is due to panel lottery and it all depends on our luck.

Another important information which we have been reading in different reviews is very cool colour temperature and this review proved that by measuring 7054 K white colour temperature. So, moving the colour temperature slider 1 step towards warm is the best choice, we just need a few days for our eyes to adjust to it after watching vivid mode 7054 K whites.

4. extremecarver

Reputations:
    well 1400 contrast and 330 nits is what I would guess for my Gram 16 too (being clearly better contrast than my around 800 contrast / and a tiny bit brighter than the 280-290 nits T480s)

5. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Samsung has launched Galaxy Book Pro 15 with OLED screen.120% DCI-P3, 1,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio, 500 nits, 0.2ms response time, and VESA DisplayHDR 500.

Samsung is also providing different viewing modes: natural (sRGB), movie (DCI-P3), and vivid (AMOLED native). LG should have also given such screen options as well as different modes.

Any forum members here willing to give Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 15 a try?

https://www.windowscentral.com/samsung-announce-galaxy-book-pro-laptops

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_un..._one_with_rtx_3050_ti_graphics-news-48862.php

6. extremecarver

Reputations:
    well they are disqualified for me because only FHD resolution. Otherwise they would be very interesting. Especially that they have AMOLED. I could overlook the 16:9, but not the pixxely screen resolution. I mean even the lg gram 17 should have a bit higher resolution...

keyboard uses default driver (Standard PS/2 Keyboard). Trackpad microsoft precision default drivers (HID Compliant Mouse).

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would but I'm still holding out for at least a 6-core i5-11400H.

Using 16:10 panels as a reference, feel free to use 1080/1440/2160 in place for 16:9, IMO the 1600p resolution on the Gram 17 is perfect. It's enough to completely remove the ability to see the pixels at 1200p and better for performance and battery life at native resolution than 2400p. Obviously if my only choices were 1200p or 2400p, I'd go for 2400p, but I'm hoping we see more 1440/1600 options crop up. My #1 priority for my next is going to be something with more than 4 cores though, I'd gladly make a sacrifice and go 1200p to get that. I don't think I'm going to be forced into that though when all the H45 units start dropping June through August or so.

8. extremecarver

Reputations:
    Well yes battery life for 2400p sucks because Intel cannot get it sorted out. Not because the display itself needs that much power. For the 17 I would like 3000x2100 or similar as long as Intel uses too much power for higher resolution. Not sure about AMD. I guess and 5600u would be better anyhow

Edit: my black screen issue is back today. Don't understand why it wasn't there yesterday. So I have to activate panel self refresh again. Well I hope my new 17z90p gets shipped soon. i5 option with 16GB RAM. I think that is the best option. Go for 17" because of hoping to get a better (mainly as in brighter) screen vs 16"

9. extremecarver

Reputations:
    The maybe best comparison review of 14,16,17 inch. They did run quite a few benchmarks. Seems that super low contrast panel is gone from the 16". Recently all reviews were around 1300-1500 contrast. Still every review lately puts the 16" around 330-350 nits while the 17" gets 400 nits. I am pretty sure this is not panel lottery.

https://tweakers.net/reviews/8948/lg-gram-14-16-en-17-lichtgewicht-laptops-met-lange-accuduur.html

As for the benchmarks, a bit unfair to the only 1135G7 that is had the slowest NVME SSD, and only 8GB Ram instead of 16GB of the 17". I"m pretty sure the gain from the i7 is minimal, it will only be faster for singlecore because multicore it is power and thermal bound and will actually rather be slower, and the 96 IU GPU only burns battery vs 80 execution units. i5 and 16GB Ram is clearly the best setup (and you don't pay the i7 surcharge).

In that test however the 17" did have the lowest battery life at 180 nits. Not sure how much the i5 vs i7 played part in that however. The 50 nits more brightness will be good outdoors. I tried working on an overcast day outside on my 16" and gave up after 30 minutes. Way too many reflections and too little brightness. Without any anti reflective coating outdoors the gram will be a poor choice any model however. Even with 500 nits it would still be problematic. Their 17" screen had bad colors however (they noted that one step to warm gave best colors - in line with my feeling) while maybe newer bathes come calibrated? Maybe 14" and 16" in future will also come calibrated out of factory..

hfm and RS4 like this.
  10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'd still take the i7 as at the points where I need the most CPU power, during gaming, I am using an eGPU and disabling the internal panel, so the iGPU won't even be doing anything to consume any power. Of course if you aren't in that niche and don't care about the extra iGPU oomph take the i5.

And being able to quickly switch between the three photos of the internals makes me even more disappointed in all that wasted space that could have been used for better heat management in the larger units. I guess they need to save $$$ and get those mainboards and heatsinks in large bulk as well as cut down on design cycles.