LG Gram 2021 announced: 14, 16 and 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by RS4, Dec 16, 2020.

1. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm just sure my gram 16 is way above 1000:1, but brightness is still only around 300.

2. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How did you measure the contrast and brightness of your Gram 16? I will like to know what measuring devices you used and compare your figures with notebookcheck. I am looking for facts and figures behind your made-up claims.

3. extremecarver

Reputations:
    Just Vs two other notebooks where I know the panel and contrast measurements from notebookcheck reviews. T480s with the awful qhd lg panel supposed around 800 and a Dell XPS 13 9370 supposed around 1100. Both have much brighter full black on full backlight. The XPS is also brighter on full brightness, but like twice as light on full black. The ANSI contrast with eizo test is also clearly better for my gram 16. No I don't have any professional tool for measuring it. But the differences were big enough to see in a darkish room

4. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, then i will stick to facts and figures in my post above sourced from notebookcheck measurements.

5. extremecarver

Reputations:
    Well - I took some pictures right now (only have the T480s to compare). Full brightness black and white (the T480s is the small laptop).
    The difference is huge... Black and white screen at full brightness. Clearly the gram 16 has better contrast. Both panels are LG... And sharpness is a big difference too - but yes well glossy is always sharper, isn't it. That's why I would love a semiglossy screen. Just enough to get rid of the worst reflections.

Well my T480s LG WQHD panel is awful, it hast a gamma of 1.4 instead of 2.2 (my gram is between 2.1 and 2.2) and the white is really not white at all. Colors are horrible. I think I lost out there on the panel lottery, that's also the reason for changing the laptop so quickly. I lately need to work a lot on laptop without my 4k 27" monitor that I'm usually using - so replacing the T480s with some other productivity laptop. First screenshot the T480s was in night mode however - the white isn't that bad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  6. extremecarver

Reputations:
    Here is my Cinebench R20 starting from full powered off instead of idle - screen in optimum position, performance mode for cooling. That's the highest I can score without colder room temperature (26 degrees, but Prochoot at 97). As this is about 80 points higher than from idle, I do not feel this is really a fair result.

Attached Files:

7. skipper63

skipper63 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The scores are very decent, so I guess you had a lemon with the previous one. I have 22C here vs 26C, this must make a big difference. Anyway except if you render video 24/7 5-10% difference in the scores will not make a big change in real life usage. And please avoid using a laptop on the bed, it is the ultimate laptop killer, in dust and heat dissipation :)

8. extremecarver

Reputations:
    No that's still the same one. I'm waiting to send back until I hopefully have received my new one.
    Still don't understand how notebookcheck scored that high, except by increasing prochoot or also going from cold boot...

With screen vertical and from idle it's 1780 points not 1899. Those 1899 are kinda cheating on my gram 16.

9. skipper63

skipper63 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck got 1948, just around the average for this processor, I don't see where is the problem. Cinebench obviously should run without any other processes running and the laptop not having overheated before, it is already pretty demanding.
    Anyway if you were looking for a serious performance upgrade from the T480s the Gram is not the right candidate. The T480s has better cooling than the X1 Carbon which is a closer competitor in terms or relative weight. But compared to the previous Grams the upgrade is worthwhile. For me it is the perfect laptop. I need the numpad, I love the screen real estate, things that I cannot have with the X1 Carbon of my wife. And it is lighter and quieter.

10. extremecarver

Reputations:
    This video sealed the i5 for me:
    I am sure it's the better choice on the Gram. As fast or faster and cooler.