LF help in search for a new gaming laptop (mid-range)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by SpeakinSympathy, Dec 4, 2019.

1. SpeakinSympathy

SpeakinSympathy Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    <$2,400 USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Primarily a 15" but open to the right 17".
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    US. Boutique seller/reseller.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: MSI (have a GP63 Leopard 8RE-602 bought in Jan19). Open to all.
    b. Dislike: Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, Internet browsing, Word processing etc.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes to both. Most of my playing will be on the couch or hotel bed. Would like a lighter laptop due to travel and since I'll have it on my lap. (less than 6lbs)

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    (WoW, Witcher 3, potentially COD4).

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    At least 1.5hrs, laptop will be plugged in 95% of the time. Battery isn't the biggest concern.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    High Resolution: 1080p (1920x1080) at 120hz min.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not as much, as long as it's not a bulky (heavy) laptop. I don't care what others may think about my laptop in public/work.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    ~512SSD + 2TB SSHD

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    As soon as possible. Giving my GP63 to my folks to replace their dead laptop.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3-5 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    1-2 weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Yes...to both

==========
    END COPY

1) My biggest issue with my current GP63 Leopard 8RE-602 is the keyboard size/spacing. It's slightly cramped and offset. Since I use a normal keyboard for work, adjusting in the evening is a pain. -- Am very open to a laptop with a larger/longer keyboard (even if there isn't a numpad).

2) I will be customizing my purchase with thermal paste, memory stick (2x8gb at least) and tuning/customization service if offered. Would like 3+ USB type slots (at least a few on the left side of laptop).

3) First gaming laptop was a Sager NP9752-S. It was too heavy and bulky. My second is the GP63. I used to build desktops 14+ years ago. I probably am not experienced enough to spot the differences between a high-end/mid-range laptop...it will all be pretty fast to me.

4) I just would love the best bang for the buck for this laptop given the minimal gaming demands I'm going to put on it. I don't want to play on low res setting though. Any help here would be greatly appreciated and will be added into my research. Thank you again for taking the time to read through my request for help.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if gaming and portability are of interest.

msi gs65 thin with the 2070
    gigabyte aero 15 with oled display
    and if you might change your mind on battery life then lenovo x1 extreme
    or xps 15 now these are the 2 more balanced options with the aero and msi being king when it comes to gaming on your lap

these are really your only options if all you really need is productivity and gaming thats portable

3. SpeakinSympathy

SpeakinSympathy Newbie

Reputations:
    JRE84, thanks for your feedback. I will look into all of those laptops.

Do either of the Aero/GS65 with the RTX cards throttle?

I am unclear on what you meant by the battery life? I rarely use my laptop unplugged, so battery life is not an issue.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think these two options are your best bet. You won't find a better value. Great specs, good built quality, unmatched performance among like-spec'd products, all at a very reasonable price. You get less from products that are $500 to $1000 more with the same specs. Metal chassis, mechanical keyboard, 144Hz panels, per-key RGB, best in class thermal management.

Eluktronics MECH-15 G2 Slim & Light Series 15.6-Inch 144Hz Premium Gaming Laptop with per-key RGB Mechanical Keyboard (Up to NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 Max-Q)

Eluktronics MAG-15 Ultra Light Magnesium Alloy 15.6" 144Hz Gaming Laptop

JRE84 likes this.